Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 135, click here.
1. Two U.S. Army soldiers (one of them not in uniform) helped a badly beaten black man get away from a hostile white mob in downtown Detroit during the 1943 Detroit race riot, June 21.
2. A Tsam Mask dance at Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, ca. 1925.
3. Ali and Stallone fighting at Oscars, 1976.
4. The Apollo 13 spacecraft heads toward a splashdown in the South Pacific Ocean after its amazing odyssey through space, 17 April 1970.
5. Christian militant during the Lebanese Civil War, Beirut, Lebanon, 1976.
6. Students sit behind a barricade at Boulevard St. Michel, Paris, during the “Night of the Barricades”, the night between the 10th and the 11th May 1968.
7. Soldiers march through Moscow’s Red Square, triumphantly dragging the captured banners of defeated Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS units along the stones, 24 June 1945.
8. Spanish Civil War, Republican militia near Aragon front, September 1936.
9. Italian prisoners in German custody after the Battle of Caporetto, October 1917.
10. 1-year-old Emperor Hirohito, 1902.