Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 105, click here.
1. Russian inmate points an identifying and accusing finger at a Nazi guard who was especially cruel towards the prisoners in Buchenwald camp.
2. American troops on board a landing craft heading for the beaches at Oran in Algeria during Operation ‘Torch’, Nov. 1942.
3. A Menorah in Nazi Germany.
Rachel Wirtzburg, 1931.
4. Soldiers of the BEF pay their respects to the previous generation, France, 1940.
5. 2 Armenian women fighters pose for a picture during the time of the Hamidian Massacres in Armenia in 1895.
6. Captain Chuck Yeager, USAF, broke the sound barrier in level flight 70 years ago on October 14, 1947 in the rocket powered Bell X-1, named “Glamorous Glennis” after his wife.
7. Wedding bands that were removed from holocaust victims before they were executed.
8. British Cold Stream guards from the Crimean War, 1850s.
9. Dutch girls escorting American soldiers to a dance.
10. Jesse Owens wins gold in Hitler Germany, 1936.
11. A German Soldier tries goose stepping on ice with mixed results, WWII.
12. 100 years ago Mata Hari was shot after blowing a kiss at the French firing squad who executed her for accusations of being a spy.
13. American Nazis in the 1930s.
20,000 attend a German American Bund Rally at New York’s Madison Square Garden on February 20, 1939.
14. The wreck of a German tank destroyed during a battle on the Western Front, 1918 autochrome Photograph.
15. A French Army War Veteran standing next to an old cannon in Paris, 1918.
16. The murder of Egyptian president Anwar Sadat. Cairo, 6 October 1981.
17. Children play amid weapons abandoned in ruins of Nazi Germany, spring 1945.
18. Officer of the Brazilian Imperial Army Cândido da Fonseca Galvão.
Veteran Of The Paraguayan War, son of freed Africans, and grandson of the King of the Oyo Empire, 1878.