Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 107, click here.
1. Instant of Test Nuclear Detonation.
It is captured by Harold Edgerton’s Rapatronic Camera with a shutter speed of one hundred millionths of a second, Circa 1950s.
2. The Jersey Shore, “On the beach, Asbury Park,” circa 1905.
3. The Beatles Arriving in New York, 1964.
4. A pair of Cambridge undergraduates, 1926.
5. Pablo Picasso drafts a centaur in mid-air with a “light pen” in southeastern France, January 30, 1950.
6. Future four-star general and Secretary of State Colin Powell’s teenage selfie, C. 1950s.
7. Seconds after the murder of Mahatma Gandhi by Nathuram Godse, 1948.
8. Vasa, a 17th Century warship, breaks the surface on April 24, 1961, after being under water for 333 years.
9. Martin Luther King Jr. and entertainer Sammy Davis Jr.
They share a laugh in Davis’ dressing room at New York’s Majestic Theater, 1965.