11. Duke Kahanamoku, the man who popularized surfing around the world, in Hawaii, 1920.
12. German officer admiring the Eiffel Tower, 1940-41.
13. Japanese samurai during the last days of the Tokugawa shogunate, circa 1865.
14. Ocean liner Queen Elizabeth sinks in Hong Kong harbour, 1972.
15. A synagogue on fire in Hanover during Kristallnacht, 1938.
16. Air India flight attendant aiding a passenger on a Delhi-Bombay flight, 1946.
17. A five-year-old girl, after a day’s work that began at 5 am, was tired and refused to be photographed.
The mother said, “Oh, she’s ugly, and picking shrimp is very hard on the fingers.” Biloxi, MS, 1911, by Lewis Wickes Hine.
18. Red Army soldiers playing British Infantry for the film Waterloo, 1970.
19. Harvesting the hemp crop with a “brake,” Kentucky, 1905.
20. A child gives another child a flower shortly after they arrive at Auschwitz, May 1944.
Everyone in the photo was dead within hours.