Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 158, click here.
1. 100 years ago: Street scene in Antwerp, Belgium, showing citizens turning out for celebration a few hours after the Germans surrendered and an end of WWI, November 11, 1918.
2. Nurses in their bomb trenches between hospital wards, France, 1918.
3. Camp guards at concentration camp Buchenwald, who were captured and beaten by the prisoners on the day of liberation, April, 1945.
4. Germany surrenders, Wall Street, November 7, 1918.
5. A parade of the Royal Canadian Dragoons headed down Bloor Street West in Toronto, Canada, before leaving for WWI in 1915.
6. A soldier stands in a flooded dugout on the Western Front, c.1917.
7. Young Jewish refugee, rescued from a concentration camp, resting up in a hospital bed in Malmö, southern Sweden in 1945.
8. USAF aircraft fly over burning Kuwaiti oil wells, 1991.
9. Mid 90’s photo of Nelson Mandela with former apartheid-era bodyguards who took over protecting him as part of the Presidential Protection Unit.
10. Canadian firefighters seal an oil well in Kuwait after Iraqi sabotage during the Gulf War, 1991.