Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 168, click here.
1. Vivien Leigh taking a cigarette break during the filming of “Gone With The Wind”, 1939.
2. Mugshot of John Wojtowicz who unsuccessfully tried to rob a bank in 1972 to pay for his wife Eden’s gender reassignment surgery.
3. The women are cooking in the half-destroyed oven, Belarus, January 1942.
4. Kitty Genovese in 1956, eight years before she was stabbed to death in Queens.
5. The LZ 129 Hindenburg flies over Lower Manhattan a few hours before its destruction in Lakehurst, NJ, 6 May 1937.
6. An Abyssinian (Ethiopian) warrior, carrying a rifle and shield and wearing a lion’s mane headdress, at the coronation ceremonies of Emperor Haileselassie, 1930.
7. Pilot and auto test driver Betty Skelton at McDonnell Aircraft Corp., St. Louis. October 1959, Bob Sandberg.
8. John F. Kennedy in Commack, Long Island, 6 Nov 1960.
9. Solar Eclipse over a snowy Central Park in New York City, 1925.
10. B-24D Liberator lead assembly ship “Barber Bob” of 93rd Bomber Group, US 328th Bomb Squadron based on RAF Hardwick, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom, 1943.