11. Japanese high school girls training with bamboo spears in preparation for a U.S. invasion, 1940s.
12. Forward torpedo tubes of Gato-class submarine USS Cero (SS-225), during a simulated torpedo attack, while at the Groton, Connecticut, Submarine Base in August 1943.
Photographed by Lieutenant Commander Charles Jacobs.
13. Survivors from the Belgian steamer Kabalo, sunk in the Atlantic, are taken aboard the Italian submarine Comandante Cappellini, her sinker, 15 October 1940.
14. Girls at a high school in Brooklyn protesting the school dress code saying females could not wear slacks, 1940s.
15. Adolf Hitler and his officials visiting the Les Invalides, the tomb of Napoléon Bonaparte at Paris, France, 1940.
16. Rosa Parks sits at the front of a bus following the end of racial segregation by the transit company, circa 1965.
17. University of Michigan football team, 1934.
Within 4 decades, the man at left would be President of the United States.
18. Technicians at Goodyear Aircraft Corp work on an inflatable space habitat concept for NASA, 1961.
19. Shepherds in Gascony, France wearing traditional stilts called tchangues (“big legs”) that allowed them to walk on marshy ground, ca. 1895.
20. Militiamen in a barricade during the fought for Madrid, Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.