11. The Circus is in town, New York City 33rd Street, 1968.
Image by Bettman/Corbis.
12. Times Square, 1925.
13. “Street Arabs in their Sleeping Quarters” by Jacob Riis, New York City, 1888.
14. AIDS activists blockade the headquarters of the Food and Drug Administration, while a latex-gloved officer walks among them, October 1988.
15. A Muslim militiaman looks for snipers during a battle with the Yugoslav federal army in Central Sarajevo on Saturday, 2 May 1992.
Photo by David Brauchli.
16. Boy jumping into the Hudson River, New York, 1948.
Photo by Ruth Orkin.
18. Life – Midway by Joe Scherschel, 1942.
19. Two American Nazis in uniform stand in the doorway of their New York City office when the headquarters opened, 1 April 1932.
20. New York Train Derailment on Ninth Avenue, 11 September 1905.