Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 185, click here.
1. Another photo of the New York City blackout, at dusk, 14 July 1977.
2. National Guardsmen surround a Vietnam war protester during the People’s Park Riot, 15 May 1969.
Photo by Ted Streshinsky/Corbis.
3. Bruce, the Shark from Jaws, 1975.
4. A few weeks after the outbreak of the Civil War, United States union soldiers begin guarding Washington D.C. from rebel attacks as construction of the Capitol Building continues on around them, May 1861.
5. Two Italian airmen fencing at an airfield in North Africa, January 1941.
6. English mountaineer (early climber of Everest) George Mallory, 1912.
Photo taken by Duncan Grant.
7. McDonnell F-4Bs dropping bombs, Vietnam, 1971.
8. SS soldiers from Dirlewanger Brigade in window of a townhouse during the Warsaw Uprising; the brigade was comprised of criminals expecting to die on the frontline, August 1944.
9. OTD Apollo 10 was launched, 1969.
10. Oldest known photograph (daguerreotype) of New York City, 1848.