Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 194, click here.
1. In 1969, when black Americans were still prevented from swimming alongside whites, Mr.Rogers decided to invite Officer Clemmons to join him and cool his feet in a pool, breaking a well-known color barrier.
2. Poon Lim, a Chinese sailor who survived alone adrift on this life raft for 133 days, eventually being rescued in 1943 off the coast of Brazil, c.1943-1945.
3. Bridgeport police have a message for the “Tuff Muggs” in town, 1930’s.
4. The last Soviet division leaving Afghanistan, being filmed as it crosses the border, 1989.
5. “Television arrived in the village” photo by Mark Steinbock, USSR, 1980.
6. Buzz Aldrin of the Apollo 11 expedition saluting the United States flag, Tranquility Base, Moon, 20 July 1969.
7. The Italian royal family in a photo, June 1922.
8. Formation of Surtsey in the Vestmannaeyjar archipelago off the southern coast of Iceland which reached the surface on 14 November 1963.
9. Young officers of Austro-Hungarian army swearing oath of allegiance to the flag before being sent to the fronts of the WWI, Vienna Military Academy, 1 January 1918.
10. Helen Macgowan Cooke picking California Golden Poppies, Arnold Genthe, c.1906.