Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 198, click here.
1. Jenny Joseph, the woman that modeled for Columbia Pictures to create their iconic logo, 1992.
2. 75 years ago, a Frenchman took a picture of the Allied warships arriving to invade Southern France. Also known as “the lesser-known D-Day,” 15 August 1944.
3. Sherman overlooking Atlanta, Autumn 1864.
4. A bystander attempts to catch a cup of moonshine being poured out of a window by a federal agent during the American Prohibition era, 1925.
5. French colonial officers in Ivory Coast with native wives, 1915.
6. Boys in a catholic neighborhood during the riots sparked by the death of Bobby Sands, after a 66-day hunger strike, Belfast, 7 May 1981.
7. An Italian soldier getting a haircut in a bombed-out street in Milan, August 1943.
8. Cambodian refugees arrive at Wellington Airport in New Zealand, 1983.
It was sponsored by the local Humanist Society.