Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 214, click here.
1. A lamplighter lighting a gas lamp in a street in Glasgow, Scotland, 1955.
2. A protesting boy remembers those who came before, the 1930s.
3. A woman adjusting her stockings by the light of a Goodyear illuminated tire, 1961.
4. Auschwitz-Birkenau death concentration camp. The arrival of the train with prisoners, Poland, 1943.
5. The Gateway Arch in St. Louis, MO, under construction in June 1965.
The truss to support the legs during final construction can be seen on the ground.
6. The Italian liners Rex and Conte di Savoia in Genoa, the 1930s.
7. Fenian Brotherhood members from Chicago serving in the Irish Brigade of the Boer Republics against Great Britain, the 1900s.
8. The painter Lucian Freud holding a sparrow-hawk, London, 1947.
9. The last lifeboat to leave Titanic, approaching the rescue ship RMS Carpathia, 15 April 1912.
10. American Soldiers with the 48th Field Hospital display their letter for Santa Claus and their holiday cake in Alsdorf, Germany, in 1944.