Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 221, click here.
1. The statue of David by Michelangelo, encased in bricks to prevent damage from bombs, during WWII.
2. Girls deliver ice.
Heavy work that formerly belonged to men only is being done by girls. The ice girls are delivering ice on a route and their work requires brawn as well as the patriotic ambition to help, 16 September 1918.
3. Steve Irwin, aged 17, playing for the local rugby league team, 1979.
4. Life before AutoCAD. Urban Designers in the 1950’s.
5. Meeting of the Italian and French drilling parties during the construction of the Mont Blanc Tunnel, 14 August 1962.
6. Coronation of Wilhelm I as King of Prussia, Königsberg, 18 October 1861.
7. A German soldier stands sentry over the recently captured city of Kiev, capital of the then Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic and capital of today’s Ukraine, during Operation Barbarossa, September 1941.
8. Philippine President Joseph Estrada attempts to play ball with rising NBA star Kobe Bryant in his Malacañang quarters, 1998.
9. Mutt, a French Bulldog and member of the U.S. 11th Engineers in WWI, he delivered cigarettes throughout the front lines, 1918.
10. Lines of Austro-Hungarian trenches on Piave (Italian front), aerial photo taken from allied observation plane, WWI, 1918.