Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 227, click here.
1. A picture of theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking and his (first) wife Jane, taken in the 1960’s.
2. West Germans face East German border guards at the Brandenburg Gate, 1989.
3. Lieutenant Commander Donald D. Sheppard, of Coronado, California, aims a flaming arrow at a bamboo hut concealing a fortified Viet Cong bunker on the banks of the Bassac River, South Vietnam, on 8 December 1967.
4. State security officer “Kippe” (butt of a cigarette) shooting at two guys who wanted to escape to West Berlin, 8 April 1989.
5. A very rare photo of Russian priests blessing Red Army soldiers during WWII (this practice was allowed by Stalin to raise wartime morale, after the furious anti-Church policy of the 1930s), USSR, 1941-1943.
6. The Space Shuttle Challenger as it launches from Cape Canaveral for the STS-7 space mission, 18 June 1983.
7. Highway near Stendal, Germany, 1930s.
Photo K.H. Laemmel.