Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 228, click here.
1. A California National Guard soldier escorts a surfer out of Venice Beach, Los Angeles after it is shut down to prevent rioting or any large gathering of rioters there during the 1992 Los Angeles riots, 2 May 1992.
2. U.S. Marshals at the Ole Miss University campus in Oxford, Mississippi deploys tear gas against white rioters who were trying to prevent black military veteran James Meredith from enrolling in the university, 30 September 1962.
3. Promenade and beach in Sochi, Soviet Union, 1973.
4. The luxuries of flying in the past as shown here in this Qantas Airways 747 upper deck, 1971.
5. Four Austro-Hungarian battleships (2 dreadnoughts and 2 pre-dreadnought types) steaming in formation somewhere in Adriatic, WWI, c.1917/1918.