11. The Cathedral of Light, at the 1937 Nuremberg Rally.
12. Ninety Degrees North, Arctic Ocean, 1909.
This photo was taken by Robert E. Peary, the first person to reach the North Pole.
13. Prince George of the UK, later King, and Tsarevich Nicholas of Russia, later Tsar, at Marlborough House, c.1893.
14. Jonas Salk creates the first vaccine against poliomyelitis, 1955.
Salk didn’t patent his vaccine, saving millions of lives as a result.
15. The last British veterans of the Battle of Waterloo, taken at the Royal Hospital Chelsea, 1880.
16. U.S. soldiers in protective suits at a wartime chemical weapons research center at American University in Washington D.C., 1918.
17. Unfinished German battleship Württemberg (right) and the battlecruiser Prinz Eitel Friedrich in Hamburg after the war, 1920.
18. This old zookeeper loved his tiger cubs, 1937.
19. These two stylish gents pondered life after leaving Cambridge University, 1926.
20. Astronauts Deke Slayton and Thomas Stafford toast to a successful docking during the Apollo/Soyuz “handshake in space.”
Their cosmonaut counterparts gave them tubes of Russian Vodka to celebrate but after a drink, the Americans realized it actually contained borscht, Earth Orbit, 1975.