Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 235, click here.
1. “The Drunk Basket.”
In the 1960s, bars in Istanbul would hire someone to carry drunk people back to their homes.
2. Istanbul, Turkey, 1948.
3. Woman on Omaha Beach, Normandy, France, 1947.
4. Downtown Cairo, Egypt, circa 1960.
5. American troops of the 28th Infantry Division march down the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Paris, in the `Victory’ Parade, 29 August 1944.
6. Churchill waves to the masses as a victory in Europe is official, 8 May 1945.
7. General Ulysses S. Grant during the Battle of Cold Harbor, June 1864.
8. U.S. Marines (circled left) hurls grenades at armed convicts during the Battle of Alcatraz.
They are commanded by WWII Pacific War veterans WO Charles L. Buckner (who himself led the assault) and Generals Joseph Stilwell and Frank Merrill (of the famed “Merrill’s Marauders”), 4 May 1946.