11. Beatle Paul McCartney visits Iran, 1968.
12. Sixteen-inch aft gun turret from the Imperial Japanese Navy battleship Mutsu raised during salvage operations in 1970.
13. In 1918, Georgia Tech hosted a football game during the Spanish Flu pandemic.
14. St Paul’s Cathedral lit up by searchlights on the night of VE Day, 8 May 1945.
15. A photo of the Somme taken by a German soldier during WWII, 1940.
16. Belka and Strelka, Soviet Union, 1960.
First Earth-born creatures (along with a grey rabbit, 42 mice, two rats, flies, and several plants and fungi) to go into orbit and return alive.
17. Jewish dervishes Agha-Jaan Darvish and his brother, patriarchs of the Darvish family, Tehran, Iran, c.1922.
The two Jewish dervishes pictured here in this rare photograph are among the very few who had successfully been integrated into the order without converting to Islam.
18. The first street lights of Galata Bridge, Istanbul, 1913.
19. Women in Auckland lining up to vote for the first time in history, with women’s suffrage having been legalized in New Zealand, 1893.
20. Prince Mekonnen of Ethiopia, Duke of Harar is photographed with British classmates in England, circa the late 1930s.
The Imperial Family of Ethiopia lived there briefly in exile after Italy’s 1935 invasion.