Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 249, click here.
1. An anti-communist revolutionary holds a Molotov cocktail behind his back during the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.
2. A young couple passes the time with a lively dance, during the Tiananmen Square protests, 1989.
3. USS Arizona in New York City, taken from the Manhattan Bridge on 25 December 1916.
4. Members of the Mochida family awaiting evacuation bus.
Mochida operated a nursery and five greenhouses on a two-acre site in Eden Township, Hayward, California, 8 May 1942.
5. A6M Zero Kamikaze moments before hitting the starboard side of USS Missouri on 11 April 1945.
6. The Castle of Almourol is a small medieval castle built on top of the islet of Almourol, smack in the middle of the Tagus River, near the town of Tancos in Central Portugal.
The castle was built in 1171, 849 years ago. The picture was taken in 1956.
7. Woody Guthrie with his “This Machine Kills Fascists” guitar, 1943.
8. The construction of the first Ferris Wheel, at the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
9. Watts riots in Los Angeles that started 55 years ago on 11 August 1965.
10. East German citizens flee to the West, after the erection of the Berlin Wall, 59 years ago, 1961.