Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 253, click here.
1. A member of the Ku Klux Klan stands behind a police officer for protection after a mob surrounded his Klan rally in Austin, Texas, 1983.
2. An escaped slave named Peter showing his scarred back at a medical examination in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1863.
3. Tens of thousands of East Germans protest against the government of the German Democratic Republic in East Berlin, 1989.
4. German soldiers fooling around, 1939.
5. Sharing a pint with his son, Dublin, 1950’s.
6. Struggle with a giant ray, Arabian Sea, off the coast of Karachi, India, 1933.
7. Shaggy, the reggae singer known for his hit song “It Wasn’t Me,” photographed holding a football while serving in the U.S. Marines, 1991.
8. A young Japanese baseball fan, the 1950s.
9. Carpenters at work on propellors in a German airplane factory, WWI, 2 September 1918.
10. Front pallbearer Dan Aykroyd pausing with his arms crossed over the coffin of John Belushi following services at West Tisbury Congregational Church on Martha’s Vineyard, 10 March 1982.