11. A paramilitary member of the Serb Volunteer Guard (also known as “Arkan’s Tigers”, after its founder Željko “Arkan” Ražnatović) kicks a dying Bosniak woman during the massacre in Bijeljina, Bosnia, and Herzegovina, April 1992.
12. A Soviet officer shows off his American M16 acquired from Mujahideen fighters, Soviet-Afghan war, 1979-1989.
13. Surinamese immigrants in Rotterdam, Netherlands, circa 1975.
14. An El Salvadoran National Police officer employing a civilian as a human shield during a street skirmish with armed protesters, San Salvador, Salvadoran civil war, 1983.
Photo was taken by Etienne Montes.
15. Kathy Huppe posing in her crown and sash with a raised fist after resigning her title of Miss Montana when pageant sponsors imposed restrictions on her writing and political activity in the anti-war movement, taken during a LIFE magazine photoshoot, September 1970.
16. A father and a son bid farewell to their relatives in the port of A Coruña before they emigrate to Argentina, Spain, 1957.
17. Legendary gun designer John Browning with his creation, the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), c. 1918-1919.
18. U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt (left) and nature preservationist John Muir, founder of the Sierra Club, on Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park.
In the background: Upper and lower Yosemite Falls, May 1903. ½ of stereograph (Underwood & Underwood).