11. Austrian mountain troops in Dolomite mountains on Italian front, 1916.
12. American Marines enjoying a can of fruit cocktail during a lull in the fighting, Vietnam war, Khe Sahn, 21 February 1968.
13. First day of Material law in Poland.
Famous photo by Chris Niedenthal. In the background there’s Moskwa cinema, movie on the display is Francis Ford Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now”, Warsaw, December 1981.
14. Paul Pelliot, French archeologist, uncovering and translating 5000 old Chinese, Buddhist, and Christian manuscripts forgotten in the Mogao Caves, in Gansu, China, spending three straight weeks working in the cave by candlelight, before deciding on which he would bring back to Paris, 1909.
15. A Peruvian woman with her baby in the Andes, sometime between the 1930s-1940s.
16. Father Damien or Saint Damien of Molokai weeks before his death.
Father Damien was a Roman Catholic priest whose patronage were people with leprosy, 1889.
17. Private John L. Drugan and “Pal”, his faithful war dog, in Okinawa, May 1945.
18. Field Marshal – Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Paulus, commander of the 6th Army during the Battle of Stalingrad August 1942 to February 1943.
The photo was taken in 1931.
19. Hitler meets Hindenberg, 1932.
20. Norma M. Sklarek in a boardroom meeting at Gruen Associates, LA , the 1960s.
One of America’s most famous female architects, she became a company director in 1966. Despite this, many of her projects such as the American Embassy in Tokyo were fully credited to male architect César Pelli.