Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 272, click here.
1. A student protester gives the V for victory sign in front of Chinese soldiers of the PLA, Tiananmen Square, 1 June 1989.
The photo was taken by Peter Charlesworth.
2. An undercover police officer on duty, New York, Brooklyn, 1 July 1969.
3. Conrad O’Brien-ffrench greets a bear.
Having spent his youth as a Mountie, surviving the First World War and serving as an MI6 agent in the Second World war, he was known to welcome danger, Banff National Park, 1950. The photo was taken by Rosalie Ffrench.
4. Children eating the half a liter of supplementary food per day received from the Interkerkelijk Bureau Voor Noodvoedselvoorziening En Kinderuitzending during the Hunger Winter, The Hague, Netherlands, 1944/45.
The photo was taken by Menno Huizinga.
5. Geologist Thomas Griffith Taylor and Meteorologist Charles Wright in the entrance of an ice grotto, Terra Nova Expedition, Ross Island, 5 January 1911.
The photo was taken by Herbert Ponting.