Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 278, click here.
1. The grave of an American pilot buried by Imperial Japanese troops, Kiska, Alaska, 25 August 1943.
The sign reads “Sleeping here, a brave air-hero who lost youth and happiness for his Motherland, July 25 – Nippon Army”.
2. Russian soldiers during the siege on Stalingrad, (1942-1943).
3. French resistance fighter, Paris, 1944.
4. Ferris, a 7-year-old newsie who did not know enough to make a change for the investigator, Mobile, Alabama, 1914.
The photo was taken by Lewis Hine.
5. American soldier poses with captured German weaponry, 1944-45.