Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 289, click here.
1. Actor and martial arts star Jackie Chan at the benefit concert in Hong Kong, in support of Tiananmen Square protesters, 1989.
2. Students dance in Tiananmen Square before the arrival of the Chinese military, 4 June 1989.
3. Chinese tanks massing before the Tiananmen Square Massacre, 4 June 1989.
4. French soldiers passing by a dog wearing goggles and smoking a pipe, 1915.
5. Multnomah Falls, 1918.
6. Two Zulu warriors, South Africa, the 1880s.
7. Exhausted civilians try to get water during the German siege of Stalingrad, 1942.
8. A Japanese soldier wades into the sea off Cape Endaiadere, New Guinea, with a grenade against his head moments before it goes off, defying an Australian soldier calling on him to surrender, 18 December 1942.
9. German war criminals laugh at a translation error during the Nuremberg Trials, 1945.
10. Pictures of various WWII-era leaders as children.