Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 291, click here.
1. Rosemary Kennedy, sister of John F Kennedy, pictured in 1938.
In 1941, at age 23, her father forced her to undergo a lobotomy, due to her mood swings, seizures, and intellectual disability. This procedure rendered her permanently incapacitated and unable to speak.
2. The discovery of an ancient Maya statue deep within the jungles of Honduras, 1885.
3. Photograph of the first official defector of the “German Democratic Republic”, Conrad Schumann, who escaped to the western side on 15 August 1961, after jumping the unfinished area of the fence that he guarded.
4. On 14 October 1987, 18-month-old Jessica McClure fell into an eight-inch diameter well pipe in her aunt’s backyard in Texas.
She remained there for 58 hours before being rescued at about 8:30 pm on 16 October 1987.
5. Yugo cars being shipped out of Kragujevac, SR Serbia, SFR Yugoslavia to the US, 1985.
About 140,000 Yugos were sold in the US, 1985-1992.