Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 299, click here.
1. A French boy introduces himself to Indian soldiers who had just arrived in France to fight alongside French and British forces, Marseilles, 30 September 1914.
2. The priest and the dying soldier, 1962.
3. An injured man protesting the Yeltsin government during the Russian Constitutional Crisis, 1993.
4. Jean Bedel Bokassa during his coronation ceremony to make himself Emperor Bokassa The First, Central African Republic, 1977.
The ceremony wasted a third of the CARs entire annual fiscal budget.
5. 3 women on the streets of Kabul, Afghanistan, 1972.
6. President Ronald Reagan meeting with Afghan Mujahideen, 1983.
7. Health officer inspecting people for smallpox vaccination scars, Newark, New Jersey, 1931.
8. People fighting to get on a plane in Nha Trang during the US withdrawal from South Vietnam, 1 April 1975.
9. A group of Havana schoolboys.
The boy with the lollipop is Fidel Castro, 1937.
10. Native villagers carrying wounded Allied soldiers to an American aid post near Buna, New Guinea; circa 1942.
The climate, the jungle, and the overall terrain made native troops and porters instrumental in the Allied success during the engagements fought during the island campaign.