Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 319, click here.
1. An old woman leaving her home with just a portrait of her husband and rugs.
Russian soldiers gave her just 5 minutes to pack her bags and leave before they destroyed her home and everything in it. Her sons and husband were already dead. She had lost everything, Grozny, May 1995.
2. A Dutch athlete receives a portrait of Adolf Hitler as a sports prize, presented by General Otto Schumann, commander of the Ordnungspolizei, the Hague, the Netherlands, 1941.
3. Princess Diana losing an argument to her 7-year-old son, around 1991.
4. One of only two certified photographs of Billy the Kid (top hat), playing cards with his accomplices, 1877.
5. Soviet soldiers lowering the captured German standards during the Victory Day Parade, Kremlin Red Square, Moscow, USSR, 24 June 1945.
6. Vice President Thomas Marshall signing the 19th Amendment shortly after its ratification, June 1919.
7. Reporters and photographers observe an atomic bomb blast at the Nevada Test Site, 22 April 1952.
8. Construction of the Stockholm metro in the early 1950s.
9. Babe Ruth’s last appearance at the Yankee Stadium, New York City, 1948.
He died of cancer two months later.