11. American POWs stand for roll call in the courtyard of Nga Tu So prison, Hanoi, North Vietnam, March 1973.
12. German troops marching to the front at Verdun.
The Germans suffered approximately 355,000 casualties at the Battle of Verdun, while the French incurred approximately 400,000 casualties. The battle lasted from February 1916 until December 1916.
13. American GIs watch smoke billow from Mt. Vesuvius, Italy, 24 March 1944.
14. Two of the biggest names in Japanese cinema history: actor Toshiro Mifune and director Akira Kurosawa on the set of Seven Samurai, 1954.
15. German soldiers march into Serbia, 1915.
16. French paratroopers at Dien Bien Phu put up a heroic resistance but in the end, they were outgunned, outnumbered and under-supplied; c. 1954.
Overall on the French side, there were 1,142 dead, 1,606 disappeared, 4,500 wounded. Vietnamese casualties ran to 22,000.
17. An unidentified woman taking a selfie, circa 1900.
18. The 1992 Bronze Medalists in Men’s Basketball, Lithuania, accept their medals while wearing t-shirts donated by their sponsor, The Grateful Dead.
19. Gayatri Devi, the third wife of Sawai Man Singh II of Jaipur, 1940.
20. Guard with a sign saying “Halt! Danger! Trespassers will be shot!” in front of Gdańsk Train Station on the morning of 1 September 1939.
The photo was taken by Hans Sönnke.