11. Martin Monti was a St. Louis Air Force pilot who defected to Nazi Germany and joined the Waffen-SS.
After the war, he initially managed to conceal his defection. But minutes after being honorably discharged, he was arrested for treason. Monti was arraigned while still in uniform, 1948.
12. In 1956, Malta voted to join the UK.
The UK refused as they were worried it would set a precedent for other countries to join, and they would be too expensive to maintain.
13. A rare view of the WTC burning from the perspective of inside a passing plane, 11 September 2001.
14. Yu Gwan-sun, 17-year-old Korean independence fighter when she was imprisoned by Japan in 1919.
She was tortured and killed.
15. The funeral of Adolf Wagner, Gauleiter of Upper Austria -Bavaria at Munich Ehrentempel, 17 April 1944.
Hitler attended the funeral. Notice the camouflage nets on the Buildings to protect it from Allied air raids. Original color picture taken by Hugo Jaeger.
16. A scout car crew of Indian soldiers chat with young civilians in San Felice, Italy, 1943.
17. LIFE Magazine, “How To Tell Japs From The Chinese”, 1941.
18. A woman pins a flower to a marching Indian soldier during World World 1, circa 1918.
19. Hermann Göring salutes after delivering a eulogy speech for the 6th Army, Berlin Luftwaffe Ministry, 30 January 1943.
20. The atomic bomb, “Little Boy,” in a sunken loading pit just before being loaded into the B-29 that dropped it over Hiroshima. 140,000+ death toll.
The photo was taken in 1945.