Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 69, click here.
1. Dwight D. Eisenhower with wife, Mamie, in 1916.
2. The body of Rev. Bill Larson clings to a window of the UpStairs Lounge.
The body of Rev. Bill Larson clings to a window of the Up Stairs Lounge, a New Orleans gay bar set on fire killing 32 people on the last day of Pride Weekend. Burial services for the dead were denied by most churches, and families refused to claim victims’ bodies out of shame, 1973 .
3. General Dwight D. Eisenhower addresses American paratroopers prior to D-Day.
4. In 1993, this ocean liner was being towed when the line snapped during a storm.
The crew of this ocean liner were unable to reattach the line and had to be rescued. It was adrift in the ocean and eventually beached itself in the Canary Islands.
5. League of German Girls dancing during the Reichs Party Congress.
6. Ahmet Ali Çelikten (1883–1969)
This is Ahmet Ali Çelikten (1883–1969) who is regarded to be the first African aviator. He served under the Ottoman Empire and later under newly established Republic of Turkey.