Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 77, click here.
1. April 2, 1917 – President Woodrow Wilson asking Congress to declare war on Germany.
2. Princess Elizabeth reading at Windsor Castle 1940, nearly a year into the WWII.
Colorized by Marina Amaral.
3. A German soldier executes a Ukrainian Jew embracing her child. Ivanhorod, Ukraine, 1942.
4. German soldier, on the Eastern Front.
A German soldier, on the Eastern Front, rides a motorcycle with a gas mask and heavy cold weather gear, c1943.
5. Testing a tank prototype just before America joins WW1, April 3, 1917.
6. An opium den in Calcutta in 19th c. .
The city became one of the major producers and exporters of opium from India in the 18th century.
7. The inauguration of the Statue of Liberty.
“Liberty Enlightening the World”, in New York Harbor, on October 28, 1886. A military and naval salute marked the event, presided over by U.S. President Grover Cleveland.
8. ‘Filthy Thirteen’ members.
‘Filthy Thirteen’ members sporting Indian-style mohawks and applying war paint to one another before going into battle (1943).