Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 82, click here.
1. President Jimmy Carter with the then-leader of Nigeria, General Olusegun Obasanjo (1977).
Two years later, Obasanjo became the first military head of state to transfer power peacefully to a civilian regime in Nigeria.
2. Ruth Lee, a hostess at a Chinese restaurant.
Ruth Lee, a hostess at a Chinese restaurant, flies a Chinese flag so she isn’t mistaken for Japanese when she sunbathes on her days off in Miami, in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 15, 1941.
3. First Aerial Photograph of Lower Manhattan, 1922.
4. Masks made for men with disfigured faces from war wounds,1917.
5. Winston Churchill sitting in what remains of Hitler’s Armchair, 1945.
6. Las Vegas in 1906.
7. A cross section of one of the first transatlantic cable from 1866 that went from Ireland to Heart’s Content, Newfoundland.
Made before we had plastic, this was laid down by the SS Great Eastern.