Here are this week’s Life Pro Tips.
1. To prep for a hurricane, fill every food storage container you have with water and freeze it now. If you lose power, transfer these giant “ice cubes” to the fridge. They will keep it sufficiently cool to preserve food for days and provide a drinkable water source as the ice melts.
2. The best thing you can ever do for a box cake mix is to use real butter instead of oil, milk instead of water, and add one extra egg.
The difference those 3 small changes made in terms of moisture and texture is amazing. Turn that $2 box mix into a $100 professional bakery dupe.
3. Freeze your cheese before grating it. Put it in the freezer a bit and it’ll firm up so it’s easier to work with and doesn’t gum up the grater.
4. Need to remove rust? Cut a potato, dip it in baking soda, and rub it on the rust. The baking soda and oxalic acid in the potato react and break down rust, the scrubbing and abrasion from the baking soda move the rust off.
5. Get a blank book and have each family member over 50 write down the life advice they’d want their descendants in 500 years to know. Keep adding to it and passing it down. You now have a family heirloom that won’t be pawned off for drug money, and will only get more useful as time goes on.