Here are this week’s Life Pro Tips.
1. When a friend is upset, ask them one simple question before saying anything else: ‘Do you want to talk about it or do you want to be distracted from it?’
This is honestly one of the best things you can do for an upset friend. I use it all the time and people respond very well to it. Sometimes people come to you because they need to vent. Comfort them first, then follow up with ‘do you want advice, or do you want me to just listen?’. But other times, they just need to let someone outside of the conflict know what happened, and then they want to talk about something else. Talk about your own day, show them the latest funny thing you saw, go do something fun together. This question sets boundaries and builds trust. It shows you can be there in any way they need.
2. If you’re making a joke with a child and the child becomes visibly upset, immediately stop.
3. If your children are breezing through school, you should try to give them a tiny bit more work. Nothing is worse than reaching 11th grade and not knowing how to study.
4. If someone doesn’t appreciate something you do for them, it probably means that it isn’t that important to them. Rather than stew about it or demand recognition, just add it to the list of things you don’t need to do anymore.
5. When reading a recipe online from your phone, click the “print recipe” icon for better viewing. It also eliminates the whole blog before the recipe.