Here are this week’s Life Pro Tips.
1. All signs indicate that this summer will be the hottest ever in North America.
If you will need to buy an air conditioner or will have trouble paying higher electric bills, you should start saving for this right now.
2. If you are having a hard time understanding a Wikipedia article, change the “en” in the URL to “simple.”
This will redirect you to an article that is far more easy to understand.
3. When moving away from a rented apartment, take time-stamped pictures after your last cleaning.
This way your landlord can’t say it was not in an ideal condition to be passed to someone else and send crazy cleaning bills in the mail to you.
4. If you haven’t heard from someone and you’re worried something may have happened, you can ask the Police to do a ‘Wellness Check’.
If someone lives very far away and you can’t check on them yourself, the police can do a Wellness Check. They will visit the person’s home just to make sure everything is ok.
5. Arguing with someone that’s not open to logic? Ask “What would change your opinion?”
The question is really good at helping to understand the position of the person you’re arguing with, and telling you whether you’re completely wasting your time or not.
If the answer is “Nothing”, then it’s pretty clear that you should stop arguing with them. They’ve just told you that they are so certain of their position that no form of proof or evidence or alteration of faith can change it. So you can write them off and move on to other things if the person is not important to you, or just stop talking about the theme and only talk about other things from now on if the person you’re arguing with is important to you.
If their answer is “These things”, that turns it from an argument into an exploration.
If they don’t give an answer and appear to be thinking about it, wait. At least they’re open enough to think and assess.