Specials YSK

5 Things You Should Know – Part 177

Here are 5 things you should know.

1. The Internet’s Wayback Machine is an Internet archive that currently has over 324 billion web pages saved over many years.

You can view web pages and how they looked in the 1990s for example vs now. You can also enter a webpage URL that you want to be captured at this very moment, and hopefully one day you can come back and treasure the good old memories.

There’s also a section on this website that provides all types of free videos/movies, which can be found here, as well as software and images.

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

2. Heat doesn’t mean more chance of sunburn. It’s easy to get sunburned in the snow.

3. The U.S. Government launched its new FOIA.gov website, allowing anyone to more easily request access to any federal record.

Check it out. A few notes:

  • Anyone can submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request – you do not need to be a U.S. citizen.
  • Only information falling under an Exemption may be withheld.
  • You can review each agency’s performance over time. Compare how many requests each agency receives, their average response times, how much information they have been withholding and why (requires Flash Player).
  • Agencies are supposed to make a determination within 20 business days, however, several agencies like the State Department are simply backlogged.
  • If you submit a first-party request, due to the Privacy Act you will need to provide proof of identification.

Why might you care?

  • Let’s say you interviewed for a federal position but were not selected. You can submit a request for the resumes of everyone interviewed and/or the notes taken by your interviewees.
  • If you went through a background investigation but were denied a clearance, ask for the Report of Investigation.
  • Maybe you are working on a thesis or dissertation? Request what might be useful for research purposes.
  • Are you just curious? Submit a request to the FBI for all records pertaining to you.

4. If you lose your Social Security card (U.S.) the Social Security Administration will replace it for free.

Any company which asks you to pay for a replacement is the third party. Directly contact the Social Security Administration in order to get a replacement.

5. To help manage spam emails, legally companies must have an “unsubscribe” option on emails sent out.

Usually located at the bottom of emails in tiny writing of most company emails.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Follow Us

From the web