Here are 5 things you should know.
1. Doing tons of sit-ups won’t give you a slimmer waist. Instead, improve your diet and incorporate lower body weight lifting to reduce your waist to hip ratio.
Ladies, if your goal is to reduce your waist, spending hours doing sit-ups is not the best training method.
When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. So when you do heavy strength training exercises to target your abs, you’re encouraging these muscles to grow bigger. The result of all those weighted side planks and other exercises designed to “tone” your stomach aren’t working the way you think. They are “toning” those muscles by causing them to grow bigger, which in turn causes your waist to thicken.
If your goal is to reduce your waist to hip ratio, you would be better off dedicating more of your exercise time to building muscles in your lower body, plus improving your diet to reduce your overall body fat. Lower body lifts will give you a stronger, curvier butt (i.e. add inches to your hips), and improved diet will help to reduce your overall body fat (i.e. remove inches from your waist). The result? A more hourglass figure. The Mayo Clinic gives a good, more scientific explanation.
2. The “Dutch Reach” is a solution to bikers getting hit by an opening car door.
The problem of bikers getting hit by an opening car door happens every day.
Even the most seasoned drivers and car passengers sometimes forget to check behind them before opening their door. A good habit to have is to always reach around with the farther hand to open your door, forcing you to turn your body and head to look behind you.
When opening your door, pull the handle with your right hand instead of your left. It forces you to turn your body toward the window and as a result, you can glance to see if there are cyclists. At the very least you will likely follow thru on the tendency to look in your mirror before opening the door.
3. There is an app called TraffickCam, it crowds sources photos of hotel rooms to aid the FBI in stopping sex trafficking.
It takes a couple of seconds and could potentially save a child’s life. TraffickCam collects photos users submit of hotel rooms that are then shared with the FBI and compared to photos of child p*rn. If enough people can contribute, we might be able to make some small dent in this horrible activity.
4. There is a texting hotline to deal with any and all problems or disorders: abuse, suicide, eating disorders, bullying.
US & Canada with the UK in the works http://www.crisistextline.org/
Canada: Kids Help Phone (1-800-668-6868) is Canada’s only free, national, bilingual, confidential and anonymous, 24-hour telephone and online counseling service.
There is a TED talk about how it was started and how massive it is: http://www.ted.com/talks/nancy_lublin_the_heartbreaking_text_that_inspired_a_help_line_for_teens
5. The website 10minutemail.com, which allows you to make an E-Mail that lasts for 10 minutes. Perfect for seeing that Quora answer.