Here are 5 things you should know.
1. If you’re baking and you have questions, King Arthur Flour has a Hotline where you can speak to a Baker free of charge.
Here is the hotline number: 855 371 2253
You can talk directly to a Baker and get all your questions answered.
2. Tossing food waste (like banana or orange peels) in nature is often detrimental to the environment and should be disposed of properly.
Tossing food waste onto the ground, even if it’s “biodegradable” can be really bad for the environment and defies Leave No Trace practices. Even food that breaks down quickly doesn’t usually break down fast enough for a critter to get to and can attract wildlife to areas they aren’t accustomed to (or feed them things they’re not supposed to have).
Article reinforcing that food waste is still litter –https://www.outsideonline.com/2371301/organic-litter-still-litter
Study of littering behavior in America – https://www.kab.org/sites/default/files/News%26Info_Research_LitteringBehaviorinAmerica_2009Report_Final.pdf
Leave No Trace info – lnt.org
3. If you use cannabis and are going for surgery, you may require more anesthesia than a regular patient, therefore you should let your health care team know you smoke/consume(d).
People who regularly use cannabis may need more than twice the usual dose of anesthesia for surgery, a U.S. study suggests.
Study found here: https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2731067
4. If you lock your pet, child, or any living thing in the car you can contact AAA whether you’re a member or not and they will get someone out to you as fast as humanly possible.
AAA is an international company (most popular in USA and Canada) but we do have clubs all over the world. Also, of course breaking a window is the fastest option but you’d be surprised how many people don’t want to do that for whatever reason.
AAA will mark your call as a first priority and depending on location could have someone out there as soon as 10 minutes (or preferably before) to help you. Of course, 911 should be the first call, but if for some reason that isn’t possible or the nearest officer is far away or whatever the circumstance, AAA will send someone out to you even if you haven’t paid for a membership.
5. Glue traps are cruel and kill much more than target species.
Glue traps for mice and other small animals cause cruel suffering and an inhumane death for the animals caught on them. Animals struggle and continue to only get more attached to the glue, and die a slow death of dehydration and intense stress.
Please do not use these traps and discourage others from using them too. Often they are forgotten and the animals caught die in distress. If you find an animal on one of these traps, you can remove it with vegetable oil.