Here are 5 things you should know.
1. Store employees are going through a stressful time right now, and we should all treat them with kindness and patience.
An experience shared:
“Yesterday I was at Walmart and saw how depleted the store was. No toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, bottled water, and most canned goods and bread were gone too. The items that were left on the shelves were very disorganized, and I felt bad that for the employees because they have will have to clean up the mess that panicked shoppers left.
After going through the self-checkout line, an employee came up and wiped down the area. I asked her what was the craziest thing that she experienced at work lately. She vented for several minutes about how rude customers have been, how they demand to know when they will have more toilet paper, how big the shipment will be, and if they plan to order more. She told me that she couldn’t give them an answer and said that she even saw a guy try to fight someone else for the items in their cart. I asked her if anyone has quit and she said not yet.”
Please be kind and respectful to store employees. It’s not their fault that they are sold out of things.
2. Khan Academy still provides hundreds of educational videos and is strongly helpful when homeschooling.
Khan Academy is a non-profit organization and provides educational content in lots of languages, including English, Spanish, and Portuguese!
Content ranges from math to science, from arts and humanities to finance, even test material (SAT, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, …) is available!
All material is completely free of charge. You can sign up as a learner, teacher or parent.
3. Now is the time to have tough conversations with your older family members about the end of life. Get advanced directives on paper so that if the worst happens, their wishes are followed through.
It’s never easy to fathom it, but dying with dignity is the best we can all hope for.
4. The website Open Culture has an amazing list of 1150 free movies, 1300 free online courses, and 800 free ebooks.
From Open Culture: Open Culture scours the web for the best educational media. We find the free courses and audiobooks you need, the language lessons & educational videos you want, and plenty of enlightenment in between.
5. Price gouging is illegal in most US states.
Most states have their own definition and penalties so check your state.