Here are 5 things you should know.
1. The term “Genuine Leather”, it is not to reassure you that their product is made of leather, rather its the name of the lowest grade of leather a company can use.
The term “Genuine Leather” is a marketing term to sell the lowest quality leather possible.
When purchasing a leather product, look for full-grain leather or top grain leather instead. These will provide a much higher quality cut of leather that will look and feel much better and last for much longer.
2. If someone offers to pay you on 1099 (i.e., as an independent contractor) “for tax purposes,” they’re talking about *their* tax purposes. In other words, they’re shifting THEIR tax liability for your employment to YOU.
This particular “trick” often lures in young and unsuspecting workers. Instead of hiring you as an employee, an employer will <wink, wink> say that you’ll be hired as an independent contractor “for tax purposes.” Maybe you assume it’s legit and they’re using a loophole, or…? But the job pays better than you’d hoped (or maybe it doesn’t), so you take it.
At first, things seem even better than you expected. They’re not taking ANYTHING out of your check. Yay, right? Wrong. In fact, it’s wrong in (at least) three parts:
1 – Those taxes (FICA, etc.) that would usually be taken out of an employee’s check are still owed. And you owe them, not your employer. You will be in for a big shock when you do your taxes.
2 – Not only do you owe the usual taxes that you would normally pay as an employee, but you owe additional taxes as a “self-employed” worker. These are the taxes that an employer pays to the IRS on behalf of its employees. (These tax payments don’t show up on an employee’s paycheck at all.) This is the money that Mr. or Ms. Wink-Wink is saving themselves by paying you on 1099.
3 – If you don’t pay estimated taxes quarterly (you know, the taxes you didn’t realize that you owed), you could be subject to a penalty, in addition to all of the extra taxes that you owe.
3. YouTube Vanced is a popular modded version of YouTube. It adds a number of features to the official YouTube app, including built-in adblocking, background playback, black/dark themes, and much more.
You can head over to https://vanced.app/
4. If you are struggling with talking to your children about sex and their bodies, Planned Parenthood’s website is an amazing source of information for this.
If you go to their Learning section and click on ‘For Parents’, they have detailed information that is separated by age groups.
A lot of parents have a hard time doing this. It’s awkward for everyone. But the earlier it is started, even with simple quick conversations about body parts with a toddler, the easier it will get. Having regular conversations like this will also encourage your children to open up to you when they have questions.
5. Sleep apnea and other serious sleep disorders can be linked to a list of mental disorders that can be overlooked because fatigue is a common symptom of most of the disorders.
Always seek the advice of your mental health professional or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding your conditions. Do not try to self diagnose your own mental health, this is intended for awareness and not a diagnosis.
Psychiatric disorders often are developed with obstructive sleep apnea and other serious sleep disorders. These include depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, and substance use disorder.
Why this is important? In clinical studies, patients reported a decline in their pre-existing mental conditions and a significant increase in overall mental health when compared to people with similar treatments not including effective treatment of a sleep disorder. Many patients reported fatigue as a symptom during the preliminary diagnosis of the mental disorder and the possibility of a sleep disorder was overlooked by their primary care physician.