Here are this week’s 5 Things You Should Know.
01. EPUB files are basically just compressed HTML files
An EPUB file is a ZIP archive that contains, in effect, a website—including HTML files, images, CSS style sheets, and other assets. It also contains metadata. EPUB 3 is the latest version. By using HTML5, publications can contain video, audio, and interactivity, just like websites in web browsers.
You can rename their extension from “.epub” to “.zip”, unpack them anywhere, then read/bookmark them with any web browser. Clearly EPUB is a great format for eReaders, I’m just pointing out that you can read EPUB files without installing an eReader if you want to, just by unzipping it.
02. The basics of Zika Virus (and why you don’t need to worry)
First and foremost, here is a simple 2 question questionnaire for anyone who decides to read this.
- Do you, a loved one, or any individuals you’ve had sexual encounters with lives in the following countries, or;
- Have you, a loved one, or any individuals you’ve had sexual encounters with in the past 2 weeks, travelled to any of the following countries within that timeframe:
- Any country in Central or South America, including the Caribbean nations
- American Samoa
- Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- New Caledonia
- Papua New Guinea
- Cape Verde
If you answered no to this question, you are not currently at risk of contracting the Zika Virus. Zika is not actively circulating through vectors (aka mosquitoes) in your area, indicating no chance of spreading currently.
What we Know
- Brazilian officials have reported an increased incidence of Guillain-Barré syndrome after contracting Zika. It is currently unknown if or how Zika may interact with GBS, and further study is needed to confirm this. Also of note is that incidence rates remain extremely low, at 1 in 100 000. Click here for more information regarding GBS.
- There has been an observed increase in cases of mild Microcephaly in pregnant mothers that contract the Zika virus. It appears that Zika is able to pass through the placental barrier. Microcephaly is a rarely observed, but potentially severe condition that affects fetus’ within the first and early second trimester of pregnancy, and causes the brain (and subsequently, the head) to be smaller than normal. While the large majority of cases will be mild, it can lead to lifelong intellectual disabilities, and in very severe cases, premature death. The incidence rates for Microcephaly is reported to be in the range of 2 – 12 cases per 10 000 births. For more information regarding Microcephaly.
- Zika is sexually transmissible, but only remains within 1 generation of spermatocytes, it takes roughly 70 days to clear from spermatocytes, and about 90 days to clear fully.
What does this mean to you?
- If you don’t live in any of the listed countries above, you have nothing to worry about right now; You cannot contract Zika from the current active population of vectors.
- If you are not actively trying to get pregnant, or you are past the first 18-20 weeks of pregnancy, the same applies; both you and your baby are extremely unlikely to develop any symptoms pertaining to Zika-related microcephaly.
- If you are planning on travelling to a country that has a currently active vector population (the ones listed above), or you live in a country with an active vector population, then you are at risk of contracting Zika.
- However, the Zika Virus exhibits no differentiable symptoms in comparison to a flu. Should you contract Zika, you may not even get sick, and if you do, it’ll feel no different than a very mild flu would. And as with the flu, treatment is very much the same: Get rest, drink a lot of fluids, and see a doctor if your symptoms do not lessen within 5-7 days.
- Finally, Once Zika passes, you have lifelong immunity to the virus. It will not affect future pregnancies, it can only affect current pregnancies.
So what can I do to reduce my chance of infection?
- If you live in an area with an active vector population, do what you can to limit standing water. Dump out bird baths, wheelbarrows, buckets; anything that can retain water beyond a few inches deep. The less standing water, the smaller the mosquito population.
- Wear long sleeved clothing if possible, use mosquito repellents when you can’t wear longer clothing. Limit exposure to the outdoors to day time, or stay away from open fields in the night time.
Should you contract Zika:
- Avoid getting bitten again, the virus cannot spread other than through mosquitoes, so no new bites stops the infection at you.
- Avoid unprotected sexual encounters for up to 90 days after infection.
- If you are pregnant and concerned, speak with your doctor as soon as possible. Screening is relatively easy to do, and they can advise you on the best course of action.
- Finally, if you are still very concerned about Zika, take the CDC’s and WHO’s advice, and consider postponing any travel to infected countries.
03. Studies suggest that yoga may be beneficial for a number of conditions
This includes pain. A lot of people have been turned off by yoga as a form of exercise, however, there are many beneficial aspects to the design. Yoga can help with chronic lower back pain and help relieve anxiety and depression.
Some Yoga resources:
04. Dating difficulties might be related to breathing problems
Results are from a little-known 1987 Research Study. This could help people that aren’t confident enough to date, and this information isn’t well known.
Love-shyness was a condition (download free book as PDF by clicking here) named in 1987 by Brian Gilmartin, a professor of Psychology. Gilmartin conducted a study focusing on college-aged and middle-aged men who were virginal and had significant trouble meeting women. His study, which might be the only study on the matter to date, revealed several unique characteristics common among his subjects. One of these characteristics was that love-shies might have trouble breathing through the nose.
When psychological conditions are analyzed, usually the mental state is most focused on. However, physical symptoms are just as important. On page 365, In Shyness and Love, Gilmartin states, “Indeed, if one were to predict among a large group of elementary school boys just exactly who is likely to go on to a life of chronic and painful love-shyness, there does not appear to be any better or more readily observable medical predictor than that of difficulties involving the nose.” The control group in his study could breathe properly. He then states that the ability to breathe through the nose is associated with the feeling of freedom and personal confidence. Possible causes include a deviated septum and abnormal nasal structure.
05. If you plan on installing aftermarket HID lights…
Plan on installing the proper projector as well. When you install an HID kit into your factory lens, all you are doing is blinding all of the oncoming traffic. Stock lenses are not meant for HID bulbs. Buy the proper projector kit, stop being inconsiderate.