Here are 5 things you should know.
1. If you are a Verizon Wireless customer in the US, a new program is launched called Verizon Custom Experience. It tracks every website you visit and every app you use. The program automatically enrolls all customers, who must specifically opt-out if they don’t want to be tracked.
If you prefer to keep your browsing habits private, you should consider opting out. There is essentially no benefit to giving away your information to Verizon Wireless. Unlike with other sites, where one can at least argue targeted ads pay for free services, with this Verizon program, you are essentially receiving nothing in return for giving up your privacy.
This article provides instructions on how to opt out using the Verizon app
You can also try this link on their website to opt out.
2. When you receive electronic devices in the mail on very cold days, you should not turn them on until they are completely warm and dry.
Bringing freezing cold electronic devices into your home will cause them to condensate, which also can happen INSIDE the device. Powering them up can potentially damage sensitive electronic circuitry.
3. If you’re stuck in your car during a blizzard and snow is piling up around your car, do not leave the engine running if your tailpipe is at risk of being blocked by the snow. Carbon monoxide will come into the car interior and kill you.
As more severe winter weather moves in many parts of the world, inevitably once or twice a year there are tragic stories of this exact thing happening. People just don’t think about it and they end up losing their life over something so preventable.
4. You can keep the dishwasher repairman away by using MAX 1 TBSP of powdered dishwasher soap.
The single greatest cause of dishwasher repairs is using too much soap. The excess soap damages the seals and interior components. Use 1 TBSP powdered soap in the dispenser and liquid rinse aid. Don’t use the pills or the liquid, just powder with separate rinse aid. There will be NO less cleaning, dishes won’t be dirtier.
Why YSK: using 1 TBSP powdered dishwasher soap makes your dishwasher last longer with fewer repairs.
5. Turbotax isn’t going to be free this year.
Intuit, the parent company of Turbotax is no longer participating in the Free File Alliance, meaning if you use Turbotax to do your taxes, it’s not going to be free this year.
Here is a link to the IRS website about the free files.
When it comes to Americans and doing their taxes, we sometimes skim over details to just get it over with, and Intuit is hoping that when users go to their site this year, they’ll gloss over the fact that you’ve got to pay to use their services. Intuit and Turbotax are the scum of the Earth and a scourge to American civil life, they’re hoping to use this opportunity to get more of your money, but this could be our chance to stick it to these guys. The IRS has plenty of resources for people to responsibly pay their taxes, let’s utilize them.