We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What are some cheat codes you’ve found in the game of life? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Walk with a purpose. For some reason, people think you’re busy and you don’t get hassled.
2. No one stops a guy or girl carrying a pizza. It can get you backstage to concerts.
3. Take a 1 dollar bill and flip it over. Now tape a 5 dollar bill and tape it to the end of the upside down single with as little tape as possible to make it secure. Now feed the five dollar bill into a change machine. The coin machine reads the five, gives you quarters, then reads the upside down single, rejects that, and boom, you got yourself a felony.
4. I am an assistant teacher in a preschool. Asking if kids can use their sitting muscles and listening muscles during circle time makes the kids want to show me how “strong” they are.
5. If you are punctual, smartly dressed, and quite friendly, you can actually get pretty far in most jobs without being that good at anything or trying very hard.
6. When someone says something true, say “you’re right”, not “I know”. It’ll make them feel better and you’ve still shown everyone how awfully clever you are.
7. If you’re genuinely pleasant to be around and you show up when it counts, people will let you get away with a lot of slacking off.
8. If any website offers a percentage coupon code like “10percentoff” try higher values like “20percentoff”, they often have them.
9. If you tuck a chicken’s head under its wing and wave the chicken in a circle, it will automatically fall asleep. It’s not a very good cheat code, but it’s still a cheat code to get you sleeping chickens.
10. You don’t have to always “give away the recipe”.
By that I mean, don’t over-explain yourself. If you can’t do something, 9/10 times it’s okay to simply say “unfortunately I’m not able to do that”, “can’t swing it this time”, etc. You don’t have to go on and on about why, or make-up reasons and list them off. Over-explaining just ends up looking more suspect than simply being clear and concise.