We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What are some of your absolute favorite sounds? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. This might be the opposite but I like how it sounds when it’s snowing and everything is muffled.
2. Water trickling over rocks.
The ocean from about 30 feet away.
3. The sound of absolute peace and quiet you get after a machine has been running in the background for hours. The noise cutting off is a relief I can compare to peeing after holding it for a long time.
4. Being underwater. I used to swim competitively and being underwater for a minute can be really meditative sometimes. Everything around you kind of disappears and you just feel relaxed and peaceful for a short amount of time in your own little world with this sound that’s unlike anything else. Then you need to breathe and go up and the first thing you hear is the surface breaking and someone screaming at the edge of the pool.
5. Hitting a baseball right on the barrel of the bat.
6. Ice cubes cracking when you pour water over them.
7. Raining sounds.
It’s what I imagine magic in fiction sounds like when no spell is being cast.
9. The noise that strong winds make when on a mountain, the noise the wind makes when brushing against leaves.
The lack of noise is appealing too oddly enough. Like the lack of noise, there is outside when snow is covering the ground.
10. A train’s whistle in the middle of the night (several miles away, of course).