We asked our regular contributors through e-mail, What book would you recommend to someone who thinks books are boring? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. The Monster at the End of This Book.
2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
3. The princess bride. Yes, it’s a novel, with tons of ridiculous humor, and even more quotable than the movie.
4. A short story called “The Most Dangerous Game” it’s about hunting people!
5. The Godfather.
That book, no matter how you feel about crime, or the mafia, or even books, will keep you hooked from beginning to end. I read the entire thing in a couple days while backpacking in the Sierras. My only problem related to it is that the movie wasn’t able to include more of the book.
6. Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.
7. Most Michael Crichton books have an immediate hook. They all start with some violent disaster and work back from there.
Sphere, Congo, Andromeda Strain, Swarm, Jurassic Park all spring to mind.
8. If you like science: The Martian by Andy Weir.
9. Usually, tell them they are reading the wrong type of books. Get them into audiobooks or podcasts is a good way get someone into the right mind frame for reading.
10. Holes. Regardless of your age, it hooks you in, it’s got elements of mystery, comedy, romance, and crime (but not over-the-top), and it’s just a really interesting story overall.
I would also recommend anything by Junot Diaz but especially This is How You Lose Her.