This is part 2 of last week’s question, as we got more answers to this question after last week’s post. If you missed last week’s post, you can read it here.
1-5 Creepy Things
1. I have exploding head syndrome. Take a minute to Google it if you like. My understanding of it is its a seizure in the auditory bits of your brain that cause perception of a GIANT fu*king noise like an explosion or a car crash. It usually comes on right at sleep onset when I’m super tired.
Before I knew what it was, I’d already learned to just ignore super loud noises and go to sleep. One day I had a real bad bout of the noises and was getting frustrated at not being able to sleep and started screaming obscenities every time I woke up. That afternoon I woke up to find that my back door had been kicked in, but nothing was stolen. I went to check my cameras (was living in a super high crime area, best $200 I ever spent) and apparently the burglar kicked in the door, and I immediately screamed “MOTHERFU*KER, NOT AGAIN!” and he bolted back out the door.
2. I work as an asbestos surveyor. I regularly have to go through entire derelict buildings.
One time I had to do a survey of an old nunnery, the foundations dated back over 300 years I think. I was down in the basement and I found a well with a ladder going all the way down, probably about 20ft. Desecended all the way down and there was this tiny door at the bottom. I realised this obviously wasn’t a well hole. The door lead to a tiny room with no lighting. Inside the room there was a large cross, similar to a crucifix with restraints on it, I can only guess as it was used for some kind of religious exorcism type sh*t. There was scratches on the walls. The building owner had no idea it was there.
I’ve surveyed a really old mental hospital which was derelict for years, I found a room with all the old outdated equipment for restraining crazy people in there. I didn’t find that very creepy until I got this almighty chill go over me and heard a door slam. I bolted out of there like a rabbit being chased by a ferret.
3. I have dogs that bark at anybody. My mother doesn’t live with me nor has a key to my house. About 4 years ago I am sitting in my house alone on a day off from work. Both of my dogs hovering around me. One at my feet. One at the doorway leading into the hallway. Its quiet. I am on my phone doing whatever on the internet. I hear my mother’s voice clearly say “Brian!” like she was trying to get my attention from across the house.
I just perked my head up a little stunned thinking I was hearing things. However my dogs, as soon as I perked up, so did they and they started growling really fierce in the direction of the voice with their hair raised. We went to inspect the house but nothing was there.
4. I’m a Search and Rescue Officer for the US Forest Service, I have some stories to tell. So I figured I’d share them here. I’ve been an SAR officer for a few years now, and along the way I’ve seen some things that I think you guys will be interested in.
I have a pretty good track record for finding missing people. Most of the time they just wander off the path, or slip down a small cliff, and they can’t find their way back. The majority of them have heard the old ‘stay where you are’ thing, and they don’t wander far. But I’ve had two cases where that didn’t happen. Both bother me a lot, and I use them as motivation to search even harder on the missing persons cases I get called on. The first was a little boy who was out berry-picking with his parents. He and his sister were together, and both of them went missing around the same time. Their parents lost sight of them for a few seconds, and in that time both the kids apparently wandered off. When their parents couldn’t find them, they called us, and we came out to search the area. We found the daughter pretty quickly, and when we asked where her brother was, she told us that he’d been taken away by ‘the bear man.’ She said he gave her berries and told her to stay quiet, that he wanted to play with her brother for a while. The last she saw of her brother, he was riding on the shoulders of ‘the bear man’ and seemed calm. Of course, our first thought was abduction, but we never found a trace of another human being in that area. The little girl was also insistent that he wasn’t a normal man, but that he was tall and covered in hair, ‘like a bear’, and that he had a ‘weird face.’ We searched that area for weeks, it was one of the longest calls I’ve ever been on, but we never found a single trace of that kid. The other was a young woman who was out hiking with her mom and grandpa. According to the mother, her daughter had climbed up a tree to get a better view of the forest, and she’d never come back down. They waited at the base of the tree for hours, calling her name, before they called for help. Again, we searched everywhere, and we never found a trace of her. I have no idea where she could possibly have gone, because neither her mother or grandpa saw her come down.
A few times, I’ve been out on my own searching with a canine, and they’ve tried to lead me straight up cliffs. Not hills, not even rock faces. Straight, sheer cliffs with no possible handholds. It’s always baffling, and in those cases we usually find the person on the other side of the cliff, or miles away from where the canine has led us. I’m sure there’s an explanation, but it’s sort of strange.
5. Same Poster as Above. One time I was teamed up with another SAR officer because we’d received reports of bears in the area. We were looking for a guy who hadn’t come home from a climbing trip when he was supposed to, and we ended up having to do some serious climbing to get to where we figured he’d be. We found him trapped in a small crevasse with a broken leg. It was not pleasant. He’d been there for almost two days, and his leg was very obviously infected. We were able to get him into a chopper, and I heard from one of the EMTs that the guy was absolutely inconsolable. He kept talking about how he’d been doing fine, and when he’d gotten to the top, a man had been there. He said the guy had no climbing equipment, and he was wearing a parka and ski pants. He walked up to the guy, and when the guy turned around, he said he had no face. It was just blank. He freaked out, and ended up trying to get off the mountain too fast, which is why he’d fallen. He said he could hear the guy all night, climbing down the mountain and letting out these horrible muffled screams. That story bothered the hell out of me. I’m glad I wasn’t there to hear it.
6-10 Creepy Things
6. Same Poster as Above. One of the scariest things I’ve ever had happen to me involved the search for a young woman who’d gotten separated from her hiking group. We were out until late at night, because the dogs had picked up her scent. When we found her, she was curled up under a large rotted log. She was missing her shoes and pack, and she was clearly in shock. She didn’t have any injuries, and we were able to get her to walk with us back to base ops. Along the way, she kept looking behind us and asking us why ‘that big man with black eyes’ was following us. We couldn’t see anyone, so we just wrote it off as some weird symptom of shock. But the closer we got to base, the more agitated this woman got. She kept asking me to tell him to stop ‘making faces’ at her. At one point she stopped and turned around and started yelling into the forest, saying that she wanted him to leave her alone. She wasn’t going to go with him, she said, and she wouldn’t give us to him. We finally got her to keep moving, but we started hearing these weird noises coming from all around us. It was almost like coughing, but more rhythmic and deeper. It was almost insect-like, I don’t really know how else to describe it. When we were within site of base ops, the woman turns to me, and her eyes are about as wide as I can imagine a human could open them. She touches my shoulder and says ‘He says to tell you to speed up. He doesn’t like looking at the scar on your neck.’ I have a very small scar on the base of my neck, but it’s mostly hidden under my collar, and I have no idea how this woman saw it. Right after she says it, I hear that weird coughing right in my ear, and I just about jumped out of my skin. I hustled her to ops, trying not to show how freaked out I was, but I have to say I was really happy when we left the area that night.
7. I was out hunting in Northern Ontario, no roads (except for a logging roads) with in 130 km, i was late on the bear season so no one was out hunting in my quadrant. I found a nice camp site along side a river and hunted from there, on the second day of my hunt i came across the bear tracks I tracked it for about two hours, and then turned around.
This is when sh*t got very fu*king weird, I always track on one side of the tracks and return on the other. About 200 meters down the east side of the tracks I ran into another human foot print which disappeared across the trail and into the woods on the west. My dog (czech wolfdog) didn’t seem to smell anything, so I returned to camp with minimal concern.
I got back to camp at around 7:30 at night made a quick dinner and had a cigar by the camp. At around 12:00 i heard a snap of a branch, after hunting for 20 years only two things snap branches, bears, and humans. I grabbed my firearm and a flashlight and went out after the noise. Every 100 yards, I would scan with the flashlight. My dog freaked, started growling and advancing into the woods slowly, i pulled back on my leash to slow his advance and switched on my flashlight. I saw a pair of eyes looking right back at me, it stared for about five seconds and disappeared into the woods. On the walk back i felt anxious, scared, and uncomfortable i could feel someone watching me.
The next night, the same thing happened. My dog went wild, like I have never seen him he was whimpering, growling, and clearly very anxious. At this point I was terrified, I didn’t go hunting that day and didn’t close my eyes once. That night i sat up with my flashlight, constantly scanning the tree line. I guess I dozed of at around 1 and woke again at 3, I was sweating, confused, and very scared. I scanned the forest, and just barely visible about 25 yards in the forest there was a man and his dog, he was looking right back at me. I stared to approach him, shouting to him. I got with in 10 feet, he looked awfully disheveled and stank, the worst part was that he just stared and smiled his eyes showed zero emotion and whispered “Good night.”
I ran back to my tent, packed it into my pack and loaded it onto the trailer of the atv and drove out of there.
8. Once I got up in the middle of the night with a start, like we all sometimes do. I thought nothing of it and went to get a glass of water in the kitchen. Well, when I opened my bedroom door, one of my cats was at the end of the hallway looking back at me with HUGE dilated pupils.
My half asleep and parched self didn’t care, so I walked to the end of the hallway toward the kitchen. As I was walking, I watched her eyes and noticed that she didn’t follow my eye contact and eventually ran for the food dish like she always would. Rather, she stayed put and continued to focus her gaze on something behind me. Whatever it was, it pissed her off because her fur was on end from head to tail. Without looking back, I sat down right in front of her and attempted to calm and pet her. Yet the second I sat down, she moved to my right and crouched down, continuing to stare behind me.
Up until this point I had pretty much thought that she’d just been startled by me opening my bedroom door. Then, I saw she wasn’t quite looking directly at my door, so I thought she was playing or fighting with my other cat. NOPE, he was asleep in the kitchen. I stood up and briefly looked down the hallway; My open door and illuminated bedroom was in clear view. But that wasn’t what she was infatuated with. What had her attention was the open door to the dark, featureless guest bedroom next to mine.
Denying myself the urge to freak out, I quickly passed my cat, got my water, and walked past her again straight back to bed, avoiding even glancing at the dark guest bedroom. While shutting the door, I looked again at her and saw that she still hadn’t broken her creepy as fu*k staring contest with whatever was in the guest bedroom. Fu*k my cat.
9. When I was a kid, we’d go to these beach cabins in Maryland, right by the Chesapeake. They were small, rustic ordeals with basic comforts, nothing fancy like tv’s or air conditioning. Two bedrooms and a cot in the kitchen, and my siblings and I rotated on the cot so that no one got too sore from it.
A small tradition was that my mom and I would have a hot cup of tea before bed, in our summer jammies and just our way of relaxing while everyone else went off to read or listen to music. Well, one night I was settling on to the cot when she picked up the tea kettle to fill it. Out of the corner of my eye I see her flinch, then say in a steady voice “What are you doing there?” My head whipped over to the kitchenette, to see her looking out the window. Then she jumped back and started screaming for my father.
Somehow he knew sh*t was getting real, ran from the back bedroom and barely paused to see my mom point towards the left side of the house. He burst out the door and ran towards the left of the cabin. I’ll be the first to admit I ran and baseball slid under my parent’s bed, because damnit I was 10 and that’s what kids do when they’re terrified. I still remember the smell of the old wood and the feel of my teddy bear shielding me from whatever the hell was happening. I remember seeing my 14 year old brother, then a medium ranking karate student, following my dad out of the cabin at full-speed. The rest of the story is an amalgamation of what I heard and what my family filled in for me.
My father, a former Army Sergeant and MP with a bronze star, managed to tackle the guy that had been peeping into our kitchen window. He put him in an elbow lock face down on the ground, my brother standing sentinel over both of them while my mom ran to get the cell phone we’d bought just two weeks earlier (this was in 95 when those suckers had cords and everything).
While my mom called 911, I remember hearing the guy talking. He was saying things like “The oiuja board fu*king told me…” “I want the devil to suck my fu*king brains out”… “Satan is in cabin 10, I have to get to cabin 10″ ..”The devil wants me to kill myself.” and so on. We were in Cabin 3, over half a mile from where he apparently intended to meet the Devil.
My dad kept a grip on him for probably a good 15 minutes until the cops showed up. The first thing out of the one’s mouth was “Jamie, when’d they let you out?”
He’d been released from jail just 2 weeks earlier, for arson. You know where he was standing, when my mom was at the sink in the kitchen? Right beside the propane tank.
10. When I was 12 I went to a friends house for the day; this was in the UK. My friend’s parents were very rich and had this mansion type place way out in the countryside (North Wales). She had 6 siblings and her parents were hippy artist types who just let the kids run wild and we basically never saw them the whole day.
Anyway…we were really into acting so we decided to practice the play we were in in our drama group. We went into what was really a massive room ballrooom, hardly any furniture, lots of paintings, big windows/french doors. As she was doing her thing and I was watching, I saw a shadow person walk into the room through the big, folding doors behind her. But the “person” walked sideways like a crab, so they were actually sidling towards me.
She seemed to see nothing and was acting her socks off whilst this thing came across the room. I saw that it was male, quite tall and moving in a way as if it didn’t want to be seen…like I might not see it if it went sideways. But I did and I sat there with it getting closer and closer until I jumped up and ran towards my friend yelling to get out. We did and she was all “oh that…yes, people have seen it before. We just ignore it.” WTF.
11-15 Creepy Things
11. When I was in university I had a summer job in the town by my cottage, and spent the summer living there alone. One night at about 11, I was watching TV when an 18-wheel truck pulled into my driveway. Keep in mind this is a pretty isolated area. I stood inside for a couple of minutes deciding what to do while this huge truck was idling in with its headlight shining into my front window. Instead of hiding, I grabbed a butcher knife, stepped onto the deck and yelled: “What the fu*k do you want?”—It turns out my neighbour forgot I was living there during the week (no car, biked to work), and told his visiting friend (a long-haul trucker) to park there overnight. The poor, unsuspecting man was checking in with his wife on the phone when I emerged (in a nightie) with a crazed look in my eyes, wielding a knife. This was likely also one of his scariest experiences.
12. My little sister told me stories of “the evil truck driver.” She was around 7, I was 10-11 years old. She told me he had stalked her friend and that he was now stalking her. My sister had a rather crazy imagination at the time and I dismissed it as fiction, so did my parents. Now, they really did have a very good reason to dismiss it, my sister made up stories like this almost every day, about strange people, aliens and teddy bears coming to life. She was a strange kid.
Anyway, one day we’re outside playing in the front yard and a truck drives up the street. It’s one of those old Mercedes trucks, falling apart from all the rust and it looks like it’s been in service since world-war II. My sister completely freaks out and shouts “that’s the evil truck driver!”. I look to the street and sure enough, there’s some seriously evil-looking dude behind the wheel… pointing at us. Then reality hits me like a brick in the face: she didn’t make this one up, that sh*t is for real. I grab her hand and pull her into the house, crying, and lock the door. My mom was at the store and didn’t come home for another 10 minutes, so we’re alone in the house. I called my mom and she came home. We never saw the driver again, until…
A few years later we discovered the identity of the driver. Turns out he was a repeat-offender child rapist and committed suicide after being charged for another assault. so yeah… is that creepy enough for you?
13. Years ago, I was on a cross country trip, solo, to a family reunion. I was supposed to make it a friends house, but there was horrible weather, it was slow moving. Then a terrible accident happened just ahead of me, and I was stuck for quite a while. All told I was five hours behind schedule. I was exhausted, in need of a bathroom and a shower, so I pulled into a little strip motel off of a fairly back roads state road. It was obviously small and dirty, but would work in a pinch.
There was a window to the outside where check in was. The guy there eyed me up (then a college aged girl), asked me if I was traveling alone. I went to hand him my ID and credit card, but he insisted cash only. Red flags were going off at this point, but I scrounged together just enough cash and he tossed me the key. The room was dirty, barely bigger than the bed. The first thing I did was go to the bathroom, then I flipped up the mattress: dirty, signs of bed bugs. A moment later, I spied a cockroach.
That was it, I was out. I decided I would use the parking space at least, and sleep in the back trunk hatch of my SUV. I curled up, using a suitcase for a pillow and random clothes for a blanket and fell asleep for an hour. I woke up aware of someone talking on a phone outside, and glanced out to see the guy from check in standing outside (it was now around 3 am). He finished up his call, then walked quietly over TO MY ROOM, unlocked the door, and walked in. The lights didn’t turn on, and a minute or two later later, he came back out, slamming the door behind him, and cursing, with ANOTHER GUY. I hadn’t seen guy two enter, so I still don’t know where he came from.
They angrily talked for a moment, then check in guy walked over to my SUV. I covered up my head quickly with a shirt. After he tried the locked door, he peered in the backseat, but between my tinted windows, and blending into the general mess, he didn’t notice me in the hatch. The two guys walked away to the far side if the lot. Talking more, the one gesturing across the street where a diner was. While they were distracted, I climbed up to the front seat and started up the SUV, they turning around in surprise as I pulled away.
This was about a decade ago, took place along 250 (I believe) in Virginia. Place name was “Mountain Top” or “Mountain Side” Motel. It was a single story building, check in window in the middle. Tiny diner across the street, no other businesses nearby. My logic was that it was smarter than parking by the side of the road. Police took my info, never called me back. Never found out anything from web searches immediately afterwards. At least one friend thought I misunderstood the situation and there was a logical reason.
14. I had a guy knock on my front door in the middle of the day and kept hiding off to the side so I couldn’t see who it was. I yelled loudly that I was calling the cops and got a good look at his van as he drove off. I reported it. Later that week van and dude were in the news. As a serial killer finally arrested. I almost opened the damn door to yell at him in the face.
15. Definitely the weirdest thing was the night after my dog was put down. He wasn’t allowed on my parents bed, but sure enough when we left the room, he would jump up and mess with the covers. My dog was put down in the morning pretty suddenly so my mom didn’t get a chance to make her bed. When we got home after a bit of grieving, my mom started to do her daily chores and this included making the bed. I was in the room when she made the bed and it was perfect. We both left together and watched some TV with my dad and we were the only 3 in the house. After whatever we were watching was over, I saw my mom walk down the hallway and as soon as she saw her bed she screamed. The covers were the messiest they’ve ever been. This happened for a couple days right after and then just stopped. My family is completely convinced my dog’s ghost hung around for a few days after he died.
16-20 Creepy Things
16. It was my senior year of high school. On a warm, May evening I was getting ready for bed when I heard yelling coming from outside. I ignored it until I finally crawled into bed. It wasn’t long after I closed my eyes that I heard “I wanna fu*k you!” through my open bedroom window. I was confused, so I got up and looked out my window. There was my neighbor, standing at the fence that divided our yards, looking up at my open window. I was pretty freaked out — and I contemplated whether or not I should tell my parents. But it was dark, and I didn’t know whether or not my neighbor was yelling at me or at someone else that I couldn’t see. I didn’t know him very well. We had never spoken before, I didn’t think there was any real reason to make a fuss over it.
The next morning I was home alone, getting ready for school. I see my neighbor putzing around in his yard, and we make awkward eye contact through my living room window. I didn’t think anything of it. Close to 8:30 that morning, I hear my dog (in our back yard) barking, and it started to sound vicious. As I’m in the bathroom, I can hear the back door open. I casually thought, “It’s just mom,” but in the back of my mind I had a strange feeling it was my neighbor. My gut feeling was right. To this day I am SO thankful that I had listened to that small voice in the back of my head. We met up in the kitchen. There he was, standing 5 or 6 feet from me, with an 8-inch kitchen knife in his hand. I’ll never forget the look on his face — he looked afraid, almost as if he didn’t want to go through with what he was going to do. At the same time, he had this crazy look of lust in his eyes. He said, “Don’t move.” The only thought going through my head was, “If you want to live, run. Now.” You know when you have those nightmares where someone is chasing after you, but your body just feels REALLY heavy? That’s how my body felt at exactly that moment. I wanted to faint, and I’m SO glad that I didn’t. As I ran out of the house, I remember screaming “NO! NO! NO!” I fell down the front stairs leading up to our porch, got up, and I must have knocked on 2 or 3 different houses before someone finally answered their door.
My town’s entire police force showed up. The guy ended up going back to his house — I guess he was an unsuccessful recovering alcoholic and had drank 2 liters of vodka the night before. He admitted to the police that he had been watching me through my bedroom window for months. When the police searched his home, they found photos of me that he had taken that explained in explicit detail what he wanted to do to me.
17. This happened a couple of months ago. It feels hollow to put a catchy title on what happened to me because it freaked me the fu*k out for awhile, but I think it fits here. I was driving home from work at 2 am. I’m a nurse and I live in a small city. The roads were totally deserted and it was a freezing night. I don’t live far from work, maybe a couple of miles. I’m driving down a residential street around the corner from my house and I see a man laying face down in the street.
Now remember, I’m a nurse. My first thought was “Great, gotta help this guy up.” I was coming off a long shift and falls happen all the time. As I slowed down the car I suddenly realized what an idiot move that was. I’m a 100 lb woman and I don’t carry any weapons. I thought I should do something to help the guy so I called 911 as I drove past him and slowed to a stop at the end of the block. While I was stopped at the light I explained to the dispatcher that there was a man in the road who might need assistance.
All of a sudden I hear a loud BANG! BANG! from the driver’s side window. I screamed and looked over. A man was pounding on my window and jiggling the handle of my locked car. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that there was no man laying in the street. Still on the phone with 911, I screamed “I’M SO SCARED!” to the dispatcher and floored it through the red light. I quickly told him what had happened and even though I was right by my house, he told me to keep driving. After a few minutes I had calmed down and he told me to loop back around. I pulled over down the road from my house and stayed in the car. I didn’t see the man anywhere, so I got off the phone with the dispatcher who told me he was sending a police car to cruise the area. As I gather up my things I do a final scan of the area, and I see the man. He is walking with two other men. I hunched way down in my car until they were far down the road, then bolted into my house.
I don’t know if he had ill intent, but it freaks me the hell out that he wasn’t alone. ALWAYS LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS. And carry mace.
18. In the mid-80s, my mum was a cleaner in Australia. She would do clean houses in suburban areas and would sometimes do houses in rural/wine regions (we lived near both). She would leave business cards at the local shops and got most of her business this way, and some through referrals and word of mouth.
One day she got a call from a lady who sounded like she was around 60, asking mum to clean her old farmhouse. She made a lot of odd demands and mum would usually meet clients before taking on new business. In this case, the lady did not want to meet mum and said she would leave the keys under the front doormat. Mum agreed mainly because the lady was quite obviously wealthy and was offering to pay mum substantially more than she would reasonably expect. Mum went to the house on a Monday morning and said she already felt unnerved by the long driveway. The house was essentially in the middle of a very large, and very empty property. She found the keys and started cleaning.
About an hour in to the clean, she hears the back door shut. Mum was told no one would be at the house so she immediately felt unsafe. She stood frozen in the kitchen for what she said felt like 3-4 minutes although she said it could have been much longer. There was no other car on the property. She wanted to leave immediately but had two rooms left to do, both were bedrooms. She said as time passed and she heard nothing else, she decided that perhaps it was nothing, or perhaps something had fallen and it wasn’t the door after all. She walked up the hallway and stepped into the bedroom. All over the bed were black and white photos. As mum got closer, she realized the photos were all of her. Some where taken at our family home, and many others were taken at other houses mum would clean. Some through windows or over fences.
She used the house phone to call the police and immediately drive to the end of the driveway. The lady ended up being investigated but continued to claim that it was a break-in. After some time, the police stopped with their searching and we ended up moving to a new town 4 months later. Every time mum tells me this story I get serious chills. Absolutely a true story too. To the day my mum thinks the lady had something to do with it. But why? And for what purpose? Any theories?
19. I was drunk as all hell and walking home from a bar. Between the bar and my house is a pretty large pioneer cemetery – lots of old graves, big trees and generally a creepy place. I love the cemetery for the historic graves and quiet and often take walks through there. In my drunk-ass state of mind, I see the cemetery as a shortcut home. I start climbing the 10ft chain link fence, swing a leg over the top and prepare to jump into the grass. My pants get stuck. I fall. I’m literally hanging there, pants rip and I fall face first into the ground. Ouch.
I start walking down the path that leads toward the entrance of the cemetery which is across from my house, limping and holding my shoulder while drunkenly cursing my foolishness. I hear a noise and look up: it’s a teenage couple, and they’re about 10 yards ahead of me standing in the moonlight. They flip the fu*k out. Screaming, turning around and running full bore out of there. I can’t stop laughing and take my time hobbling toward home.
As I’m approaching the entrance I notice a car pulling into the cemetery. I suspect it’s the cops or someone coming to investigate the screaming so I duck behind a large headstone. The car is full of more teenagers, and these ones are out for a ghost hunt, packing cameras and audio recorders. Well, screw it. I’ve already spooked two people. I wait until they’ve walked about 20 yards into the darkness and I start tossing pine cones while staying hidden. The first pine cone hits the gravel path behind them, the next two ricochet off of a tree and fly into the graveyard. All the kids freeze and look at each-other. Perfect.
I toss one more cone and start to make the best evil-cackling laugh that I can manage. The kids FLIP the fu*k out and run to the car, peel out and flee.
I stumble into the house laughing my ass off and enjoy a celebratory joint. I know I’m an asshole, but I just HAD to fu*k with those kids. I mean come on, how could you not?
20. When my wife and I had our old house built, one of the first things we noticed the night we moved in is that the house behind us had a square window that seemed to be right next to their toilet, but probably 5 feet above the floor. We figured this was the case because at various times during the night, we could see just the profile of a dude’s head there. He would stand there for like 30 seconds and then he would leave and the light would go off.
It became sort of a running joke–once in a while we would just look out the back window and go, “Ayup, Russell is taking a leak again.” One night it was storming pretty badly and the power went out in the neighborhood. I was just looking out the back window at the storm and I happened to notice what I thought was the profile of Russell’s head in the little window when lightning lit up the area. I had some funny thoughts about trying to aim in the dark and wondered why he wasn’t peeing with a flashlight or something. Then a lightning bolt a full five minutes later revealed Russell’s head again! WTF? That was some epic piss. I ran and got my binoculars to see if I could figure out what was going on over there. More lightning strikes and I was fairly certain Russell’s head was still in the window, but it looked strange. Then suddenly the power kicked back on and my sights were filled with the image of a female mannequin head in Russell’s window, facing directly at our window.
21-25 Creepy Things
21. My friend’s family owned 100+ acres of land just outside of a suburb in Utah. It was well known for being by some massive Native American archeology digs, and they suspected that there was a permanent settlement on the land at some point because of the mass amount of pottery and other artifacts that they would pull up when they tilled the land. On top of that, there was a historical building there at one point that was torn down (I will not disclose what building it was because a Google search would give tons of personal info about the family). Because of all of this history, it was bound to be filled with paranormal things. Though unfortunately for us, we didn’t know about any of these things until after everything started happening.
I remember the first thing that happened to us was hearing screaming and arguing down by the pond. It sounded like a man and a woman, but we couldn’t pick up any words. We had everyone in our group point their car lights and spotlights at the pond and there was nothing, but the arguing continued.
Next up, it was just my friend and I. We were leaving the place and closing up the gate. My friend hopped out to let the car out and lock up for the night while I sat in the car. A moment after he stepped out and started fiddling with the lock, I was looking straight forward and saw the detailed silhouette of a child run across my view. It took less than two seconds for it to cross, but you could see everything from its hair floating about freely to its clothing moving. I was dumbstruck, I honestly didn’t know how to handle it so I just drove my friend home and made my way home with all of the lights inside my car on.
Not long after that, things started kicking up. We would see that child frequently, whether he was playing in the trees or with the cows. But what really became concerning was when my friend let a girl I was with and myself make out in the back of the car while he took a walk. We were tucked away from the main field and were up against the railroad tracks, so he climbed the steep pile of rocks leading to the top and just dicked around up there for a bit. He was about to look down to laugh at the car rocking or whatever when he froze. He didn’t know what made him do it, but he looked over more cautiously and saw this being looking into the window of the car and moving about the vehicle. Mind you, it was a full moon and clear night so you could easily see just about everything, but he said the best he could describe this thing was that it was something darker than the complete absence of light, something his eyes were constantly trying to focus on on but couldn’t for very long because he couldn’t fathom its vast emptiness. Needless to say, he was terrified. He was about to scream but this thing looked up, looked deep in to him, and lifted it’s shadowy hand to it’s face in a “shh” motion. From there, he just stood there for another half hour before it moved its way in to the field and disappeared in the foliage. Thankfully, I had turned the car on when I saw him coming down so the moment he hopped in, we were able to leave.
A few months after that, him and I plus another friend were having a campfire in the trees in the center of the property and I had my car running and the headlights on so we could start the fire in the dark. 10 minutes in to that, we all heard extremely loud whistling coming from just behind the car. Now, I blew it off as my music at first. But then I remembered I had turned he volume down to 5 while parking and it had to be up to 20 for you to hear it at all, and God knows how high for it to be as loud as the whistling was. We sat here and listened for nearly two minutes, all of us recognizing the tune a bit but not being able to place it. We were creeped out but used to things happening by that point, so we just soldiered on from there. After hearing screaming coming from the area where the building used to be that could only be compared to the scream my sister made the last time she had a night terror (my friend is a well seasoned Hunter and is familiar with foxes, rabbits, owls, and any other animal native to Utah and he didn’t believe it was any of them), we left and were done. But as we were leaving, I had my GG Allin CD playing, and the song “when I die” came on. After we all listened for a moment, we realized that it was the same fu*king tune that the Thing was whistling behind the car. Whatever this thing was, it was intelligent enough to copy the music it was hearing and powerful enough to whistle it for a long while.
Now the last thing was the final straw for us. His family sold the property and we were essentially paying our final respects to all of the beer, women, and fire that had been chugged, laid, and created over the time period that we hung out there. After sitting in the car and talking about memories for a while, we both had to hop out to piss. For some reason, we were both extremely anxious about it and felt kinda sick. As we were rushing along with our business, my friend looks down and to the side at a bush that rustled a tad to see if he could find a lizard or something to catch. When he looked down, his blood went cold and he heard a scratchy, malicious, and purely terrifying voice say “hhhhiiiiii” in this airy, drawn out fashion. From across the car, I heard the exact same thing but I thought he was being a d*ck and trying to scare me. Hopping back in the car, he looks at me with this face of fear and terror that I hadn’t seen since our first near death experience together and simply said, “fu*king drive”. He told me everything and we haven’t been there since, and really don’t plan to.
I know it was supposed to be about one experience, but when it comes down to it, the existence of that place was a terrifying experience for all who step foot on it. Good fu*king riddance, and good luck to the developers who will be putting people’s homes and lives on that land.
22. Being the manager of a clothing store, I sometimes help other stores out too. A few years ago, I was asked by my boss to work a night shift at a store located in a different mall. I’ve never been to that mall before and figured working there would be interesting, so I took the shift. The mall closed at 10:00pm and I left the store by 11:30pm. Walking back to the parking structure was kind of creepy. The concrete structure was dimly lit. There were still several cars left in the structure , probably belonging to mall employees.
I had completely forgotten where I had parked, so there I was, aimlessly wandering the parking structure looking for my car. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw an elderly homeless man coming towards me. He asked me “You looking for your car?”, and not wanting to be rude I responded “yes”. The homeless man nodded and beckoned for me to follow him. Not really knowing what to do, I decided to follow. We walked for about 5 minutes across the structure and up a flight of stairs.
Then he stopped right in front of my car and told me “Its not safe to drive a car that’s low on motor oil, you know” and then proceeded to walk away. Getting into my car I noticed that it WAS low on oil. I have no idea how he knew where my car was or how he knew it was low on oil.
23. I had a party at my apartment with my friends from college. We had music, beer pong, drinks…typical party. Pretty low key, there were only like 12 of us, just looking for something to do on a Sunday night since we had the Monday off. We live in a complex that has a bunch of rows of townhomes, and a huge parking lot.
It was about 11:30pm, and there is a knock at the door. Figuring it was one of our neighbors, I opened the door. There was a very pale, skinny, bleach blonde girl standing there. She looked sickly, like a serious drug addict. She asked if any of us had a lighter, and my friend Nick gave her one. She walked into our apartment, and lit her cigarette in our kitchen while everyone stood there silently and awkwardly, watching her. She stood there for a minute, looking around, then abruptly said “thanks” and walked out the door. Our window was open, and we saw her walk down the steps to the parking lot and get in a car directly in front of our window, watching us. There was another girl and a guy in the car with her, equally sickly looking.
We laughed it off, and the party went on. Every so often, however, we would look out the window and the same car would be there. The people always watching us. This carried on until about 1:30am when the three got out of their car and knocked on our door again. Nick opened it to see what they hell they wanted (he’s an extremely intimidating looking guy) and the blonde girl said with virtually no expression “we just wanted to know if we could come in. You guys look fun. Like, beer pong fun.” We politely declined, since it was late and people would be leaving soon, and she got irate and started screaming at us that we were idiots. We closed and locked the door. They walked back to their car and watched us again. Everyone started to leave around 2:30am. The only people left were my roommate and I, two 20 year old females. The car was still there. Still watching. My roommate and I sat at the kitchen table, talking about what we should do, and the car started flashing their lights into our window, which went on for a few minutes. We shut the lights off and closed the blinds, but peeked through them to see what was going on. The car sat there for a few more minutes, then drove away. It was one of the most bizarre moments of my life…
24. A few years ago there was a really bad storm as my girlfriend and I were driving up interstate 69 in Indiana toward Muncie. It hadn’t rained here in like a month so we were pretty pumped. Anyway, this storm kinda built up really quickly and just started pouring.
We didn’t think anything of it at first, happy for the long-due rain. But suddenly, the wind picked up really really badly. Dust and debris in the fields around us suddenly lifted into the air and began swirling around in a giant funnel shape around the car maybe a football field length on either side of the car. My girlfriend, who is terrified of storms, was freaking out, thinking there was going to be a tornado that dropped on top of our car. I kept it together but definitely laid on the gas pedal.
For a few moments, the wind blew from left to right, then a few seconds later it was blowing right to left. Anyway, we made it through with no problems. When we got to where we were going, some of the guys said they watched a funnel cloud dropped about halfway to the ground for about 30 seconds right over where we were. Later that night, it was confirmed on the news, a spotted funnel cloud, again, right where we were. We had driven through what was almost a tornado and it was intense as fu*k. Creepiest feeling I’ve ever had, knowing that if I had merely looked up, I would have seen the start of a tornado dropping down onto my car. Probably would have pissed myself, to be honest.
25. My Grandmother’s house was really old, like it was built in 1775. I’ve had 4 weird encounters there, that I can remember, but this one spooked me the worst. I was still young enough that I required a night light (let’s say 4) but we had forgotten to pack mine so the bathroom light was on in the hall and the bedroom door was cracked. It was a warm night so the windows were open as well. I was jerked awake to a horrible screaming that I identified immediately as coming from outside. I raced to the windows and tried to look for the source. This was an old person neighborhood so no one was up past like 9 so I don’t have an answer for this. Needless to say, I was scared. I grabbed my stuffed animal and walked into the hall to grab my parents. I wasn’t going to call for them because my Grandma was asleep. They were both asleep downstairs.
The bathroom light was out (probably turned off by my aunt when she went to bed) which didn’t help things. The hallway was pitch black except that the moon was coming in through the window at the end of the hall. Standing on the landing, in front of the window, was a tall thin shadow man. I knew he wasn’t my Dad. He lifted a “hand” and pressed a “finger” to his “lips” and said “hush” in this like long drawn out hiss. I screamed and almost immediately the hall light was flipped on from downstairs. He was gone and my parents couldn’t get me back to sleep.
PS: I also, when I was quite young, apparently kept going on about the baby under this ancient oak in the back yard (of that creepy house). Us kids weren’t allowed under there because of a bad growth of poison ivy. Just last summer the tree had to come down after storm damage. Guess what they found in the roots? A small faded headstone, like they would put over baby graves.
PPS: I’ve also been terrified of the attic and I once saw another shadow man ducking in and out of the old dog shed when I was home alone and the neighbors (the only source of contamination) were not using the house that season.