11. For dating:
“Just be yourself. It’ll happen when you least expect it.”
The part that I agree with: You shouldn’t try to make yourself radically different. You should do things that are consistent with who you are.
But that can mean finding other aspects of yourself and figuring out how to display those aspects. It can mean becoming a better version of yourself.
I think advice like “Be yourself” and “It’ll happen” is too passive.
Go out of your comfort zone a little bit more. Try a sport that you’ve never tried before, or go to a concert in a genre of music you don’t know anything about. Strike up conversations with people, not necessarily “trying to get dates” in a really calculating way, but just try to develop the habit of having friendly amicable chats with people you don’t know super well.
Don’t just passively sit around “being yourself” and waiting for things to happen. That doesn’t work.
12. “Never give up.”
Sometimes giving up and moving on is the right thing to do.
“Losing is not an option.”
It absolutely is an option, and a great impetus to grow and do better.
13. “Follow your dreams”.
First of all, not everyone has a dream. Secondly, you can’t earn enough butterfly farming to support yourself. Get a job that pays you well enough to have hobbies. Find your happiness outside of work. Travel, cook, garden, etc.
14. “Good is the enemy of great.”
As someone struggling with anxiety, I have to flip this to “Perfect is the enemy of getting anything done” and/or “The desire to be great at everything is the friend of paralyzing anxiety.”
Be good. Good is good.
15. “Work hard and you’ll be successful.”
I know tons of people who work hard and made wise choices but still, struggle to pay their payments.
16. “Just go! Travel! Drop everything and it’ll work itself out! You’ll see!”
17. “Just ignore bullies, they’ll move on.”
Should be replaced with “Make sure they know you will make them regret it if they bother you, and then they’ll move on.”
18. “You can do whatever you want to do if you put your mind to it.”
Sorry, but it takes an especially smart/talented/dedicated person to be able to do whatever they want, not to mention that many things require money or a good amount of luck. Most of us are going to be average…that is why it’s called average, after all.
19. “What goes around comes around” or the idea that karma has a way of resolving things.
I think sometimes bad things happen to good people or good things happen to bad people its all honestly a crap shoot. We just like to believe in karma cause it makes us feel better but in reality, it doesn’t exist.
20. I still don’t believe money can’t buy happiness.
21. “It doesn’t matter what other people think.”
It really does.
22. “Everything happens for a reason.”
23. “Don’t eat cheese before you go to bed, you’ll have nightmares.”
24. “If it’s meant to be, it’ll be”.
25. “If you can’t handle me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my best.”
This sounds good in principle but when your worst is stabbing me with a fork and your best is burning spaghetti and ordering takeout, it starts to become less reasonable.