We asked our regular contributors through e-mail, What “secret” do you know about your kids that they don’t know that you know? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. My 9-yr-old son has started to search for “girls taking jeans off” on YouTube. I also found out he has a type by his latest search of “brown girls taking jeans off”.
2. I know my son sneaks out of his room after bedtime to draw tomatoes.
3. As a little girl, I’d always be fast asleep when we pulled into our driveway late at night after being out as a family. My father would unbuckle me and scoop me up to bring me inside. By the time I was five, I was often awake when we pulled in but I’d pretend to be asleep because I loved the comfort of being pulled into my dad’s arms and whisked into the house. Once, when I was probably near six-years-old, my dad did his ritual extraction of the kid from the back seat and he leaned over and whispered tenderly in my ear, “I know what you’re doing, and this is the last time.”
4. I found condoms in my daughter’s bedroom when she was 15.
5. My 5-year-old daughter won’t tell me the name of her boyfriend at YMCA day camp because it’s “a secret.”. But I know the kid’s name is Jordan. The camp counselor told me.
6. My son smokes weed in the attic at night which has a vent that goes right to our bedroom.
7. After many searches as a 12-year-old boy on my family’s computer, my dad called me over one day and says “Rednaxxela, this is how you clear the internet search history”. No other words, just a quick how-to!
8. My toddler thinks he fools me when he pretends to be asleep.
I see that smile with your eyes squinted closed, young man.
9. I found the box of Girl Guide cookies that my 8-year-old daughter had taken from our pantry and put in one of her toy boxes. I didn’t give her sh*t about it; just took them back and ate them all.
10. My toddler has a “secret” hiding spot in the corner. When she thinks I’m not looking, she’ll hide snacks there and then ask for more so she can have extra crackers. It’s hilarious, but I can already tell she’s going to be a handful.