We asked our regular contributors through e-mail, You’re at a party and find yourself stuck in a conversation with someone you don’t especially want to talk to about something you’d really rather not be talking about. What’s your best quick escape line or move? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way and most of the respondents have requested to stay anonymous, so no names will be published.
1. I take a preemptive approach. I don’t make friends so that I don’t get invited to parties.
2. I have to go to the bathroom.
If they keep on talking: Okay, but I really need to take a sh*t, so bye.
3. I need to return some videotapes.
4. Right, I’m off, talk again soon.
5. All you have to do is point behind the person. As soon as they turn around you make a run for. Classic move that almost sometimes works.
6. Hey man, I either need to go to the bathroom, get a drink, go for a smoke or make a phone call, I’ll see you in a bit.
7. If you wanna change the subject, just say: you cant put bread in the freezer, right? this can lead to extensive arguments, trust me.
8. I’m going to go grab a drink.
9. Wait, where’s my husband? I need to go look for him. or Sorry, I need to give my husband a call, gotta go.
My husband uses me as an excuse too, only he’ll always say I have a headache.
10. Would you excuse me? I cut my foot before, and my shoe is filling up with blood.